UnReal World - Now Free!

Xydonus

Anybody got a link to the UnReal World wki? I can't find/make spruce twigs at all. Kind of failing here.

That action is under alt+v, that is, the Survival skill. Some of the actions can be incredibly unintuitive to find, for example the "extended actions" key (# IIIRC) is essentially just a list of stuff that hasn't been placed under any proper category yet.

They're games, not toys.

Is there a score in UnrealWorld? If there is one, you can see it as a game, but then it's a horribly unfocused and muddied up game. I like to look at it as a totally loose system of exploring mechanics, i.e. a great toy.

DF didn't have a score the last time I played it. So how the hell is that supposed to be a game? You could define your score as "days survived" or something, but it's really such a huge system of so much stuff that I can't see it being a reasonable contest of decision-making (i.e. a game).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Props to acex for mentioning Dungeon crawl stone soup.

I've spent countless hours playing it after watching acex' livestream on it, and it's brilliantly entertaining

Yep, since 1992. There's always more potential to fill though. The upcoming changes to trading and NPC interaction in general, and the introduction of meaningful quests, is all very neat and will again change how major parts of the game work. And beyond that, the graphics overhaul will hopefully make the game enticing to a lot of new people.

I always die of starvation. I've fished so many times but this guy just cannot catch any fish. I've set around maybe 5-8 light lever traps (i think that's what they're called) and not a single animal has triggered it. 

The fire doesn't seem to last very long. I made a fire that had over 50 twigs/branches and I try to refuel them so many times too.

Frustrating game, yet fun too.

Made a shelter, had some drop off spots, weapons i could not make. Time to watch some let's play.

I always die of starvation. I've fished so many times but this guy just cannot catch any fish. I've set around maybe 5-8 light lever traps (i think that's what they're called) and not a single animal has triggered it. 

The fire doesn't seem to last very long. I made a fire that had over 50 twigs/branches and I try to refuel them so many times too.

Frustrating game, yet fun too.

Made a shelter, had some drop off spots, weapons i could not make. Time to watch some let's play.

Both fishing and trapping are very location and luck dependent. If you can get yourself a couple of nets to do the fishing for you, you're much better equipped for survival, as manual fishing takes lots of time. Lever traps are mostly practical for fur, you don't get enough meat from small animals to survive on. Pit traps are better for meat. It is challenging to find areas where traps work consistently though, as you need to place them in locations where animals are likely to pass through.

If I don't start off as a fisherman with nets, my first priority is to catch big game, as that'll give you enough time to get other sources of sustenance sorted out, or to catch more big game. I just patrol around, preferably marshes and hills because of the visibility, to find big animals. Then I keep sneaking after them with thrown weapons (javelins can be crafted with minimal equipment) until I score. Then I roast all the meat, trade some of it for tools and such, and get on with my life.

Fires don't last massively long unless you feed them constantly. IRL if you stuff a lot of firewood into a campfire you get a bonfire, not a longer lasting campire. :P 50 twigs/branches is nothing though, proper firewood you get from chopping trees is better for fuel. The long term solution for this is to build a house, where the fireplace will keep giving off heat even after the fire has gone out.

Pit traps is already hard to build since I don't have shovel or axe. Idk man this game is hard. I've had maybe 10 guys die already of starvation. No tools or equipment and I'm far from any settlements (even when I'm close to one) I still die. Fml

Pit traps is already hard to build since I don't have shovel or axe. Idk man this game is hard. I've had maybe 10 guys die already of starvation. No tools or equipment and I'm far from any settlements (even when I'm close to one) I still die. Fml

Once you nail the basics its quite easy to get the hang of it. The in-game tutorial does do a half-decent job at teaching you most of the stuff. Also a guide here that you can use - http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=1651 Among others.

Regarding an axe, you should be able to make a stone axe. Can't remember the requirements for it but it might be a slender trunk, a stone and some tying equipment. You can get slender trunks using a knife. With a stone axe I think you can also make a wooden shovel.

Anyhow Unreal world is a hardcore survival sim and it isn't meant to coddle you other than help you learn the interface and the basics of the gameplay. After that your on your own. I'm still on my 2nd character (since I started playing URW) and I have it hard because my character was made before all the lovely stat changes came in for the characters plus I happened to pick the Drikki tribe which are shit across the board on everything they do. I only found this out when a friend of mine picked a different culture than mine and happened to mention all the lovely high stats he had. So yeah don't pick the Drikki if you want an easy start.

Once you nail the basics its quite easy to get the hang of it. The in-game tutorial does do a half-decent job at teaching you most of the stuff. Also a guide here that you can use - http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=1651 Among others.

Regarding an axe, you should be able to make a stone axe. Can't remember the requirements for it but it might be a slender trunk, a stone and some tying equipment. You can get slender trunks using a knife. With a stone axe I think you can also make a wooden shovel.

Anyhow Unreal world is a hardcore survival sim and it isn't meant to coddle you other than help you learn the interface and the basics of the gameplay. After that your on your own. I'm still on my 2nd character (since I started playing URW) and I have it hard because my character was made before all the lovely stat changes came in for the characters plus I happened to pick the Drikki tribe which are shit across the board on everything they do. I only found this out when a friend of mine picked a different culture than mine and happened to mention all the lovely high stats he had. So yeah don't pick the Drikki if you want an easy start.

I just pick the first class because of the high stats. And when I repsawn I choose the one closest to the yellow section. They said that one has a lot of markets to trade. BUT getting meat for currency is hard as fuq.