Future NPCs and possible new mode

Darkrajin

This was just something I posted on steam, but thought I would post here too.

Eventually npcs will be added to the game, so I was thinking an additional style of game mode could be added.

The very start of the infection.

Basically this mode starts where zombies are very rare, and the majority of the population are npcs, who are not yet aware, or at least not worried about the infection.

Basically (just a random number) about 70% of npcs are already infected, but show no symptoms at this starting stage, in a day or two those people will turn in to zombies (sandbox mode have a setting to extend how long they would take to turn). so yeah, and thats where the game starts from.

From a role play perspective I just feel this would be rather fun.

Well, "start game before infection" and "start game right after first infections" are not the exact same things.

But I would imagine that adding a mode such as suggested here would be a lot, a lot and a lot of extra work. While I'm obviously not a developer of PZ, I would imagine that the NPC AI and behaviour routines are currently being built with the premise that the surrounding world is extremely hostile. Rebuilding all this behaviour to accommodate a world where there's no immediate danger, would be a huge bit of work to do!

Consider, for example, that the default NPC behaviour in zombie-infested world for meeting a new person is aiming a gun at them. This wouldn't work in a world set to be just after the infestation. All the behaviour for finding a safe house, protecting it and so on would need to be removed and replaced with different set of behaviours for going home, greeting the neighbour and walking down the street to corner store. So from someone's perspective who knows not a bit of PZ code, this idea just seems very impractical to pull through for a small studio. Was it easy to implement, it'd of course be a great addition though. =)

This was just something I posted on steam, but thought I would post here too.

Eventually npcs will be added to the game, so I was thinking an additional style of game mode could be added.

Basically this mode starts where zombies are very rare, and the majority of the population are npcs, who are not yet aware, or at least not worried about the infection.

Basically (just a random number) about 70% of npcs are already infected, but show no symptoms at this starting stage, in a day or two those people will turn in to zombies (sandbox mode have a setting to extend how long they would take to turn). so yeah, and thats where the game starts from.

From a role play perspective I just feel this would be rather fun.

I think we will be able to decrease/increase the NPC numbers in sandbox. So with many NPCs and low zombies and the migration/respawn system(with advanced possibilities) it should be possible to simulate what you're saying. Maybe?  :oops:  (tophat)

[...]

[...]

In survival you are starting in the year 1993 on at the start of the infection. Same thing for the sandbox mode..  ^_^ It is a good idea that the zedz would be less frequent the first day. but lets say that was it. then it would be too easy to eliminate the whole treat and prevent the mass apocalypse.... good idea though  -_-  8-)

Well it is no major, just a game mode I think would have been a fun way to start, it is also why I suggested as an extra mode, seperate from the normal survival mode.

With the easy side, yes it woukd be some what easier. How ever it is why I added the idea that most of the population is already infected, but just has not turned yet. So that way there is no way to stop the infection from quickly spreading once people start turning.

But yeah I guess it is not a feasible idea :/ le boo.

Well it is no major, just a game mode I think would have been a fun way to start, it is also why I suggested as an extra mode, seperate from the normal survival mode.

With the easy side, yes it woukd be some what easier. How ever it is why I added the idea that most of the population is already infected, but just has not tured yet. So that way there is no way to stop the infection from quickly spreading once people start turning.

But yeah I guess it is nit a feasible idea :/ le boo.

i like the idea. heck i wouldn't mind if it was just a little bit later though. having there be a good 40% are zombies and out of the 60% a good 30% are infected. That would make a total of 70% infected plus any more the swarm in after a certain amount of time. That seems balanced enough to find people with all different jobs and abilities. I like this general idea.