Mod Idea: Zombie Apocalypse from day 1.

BayCon

I had this idea a little while back. This idea is a very slow-moving form of gameplay for Project Zomboid, and it's kind of unique, so maybe it could be a mod that adds this as a challenge...

Note: This idea requires a lot of things that the devs said may be added way in the future, like cars, possibly dogs, and maybe the military, and most importantly for this challenge, NPC's.

On the city info cards, it shows the population of Muld and WP, so I was thinking when the NPC's come out, you can spawn all 2 thousand and something people in that city in various houses and buildings going shopping, taking loans, driving around (when vehicles are added), playing with their dogs, and doing whatever else humans do. They all have different traits and personalities and some live together. However, one zombie is spawned on the map in a city the player is not in (so the player can't kill it immediately and end the game), and the zombie bites and kills just one unexpecting NPC (the NPC's are regular people right now, and regular people don't always carry weapons and are often defenseless when caught off-guard). Eventually, the epidemic spreads from one person to the next until most of that city of people (which the player is not in) is infected, and the sound of human life draws part of that city to the other where the player is. The NPC's in the player's city freak out as they hear about the disease (people start rioting, looting, and stealing to survive as zombies straggle into the city and start killing people off, or an alternate situation is that the military blocks off the player's city and it eventually becomes breached).

Here's where my idea becomes confusing because I don't know the best way to go about doing end-game:

1. players must kill of every zombie on the map, which is about 4000 so that would take awhile.

2. The challenge slowly eases into eight months after the apocalypse zomboid with rotten foods and insane zombies and the likes.

3. When the apocalypse settles in, there will be a radio broadcast from other cities about the virus reaching them, and zombies will flood the map from other (off-map) directions.

I know this would require some heavy coding and it will probably lag the game to death, but I think this is a fun way of feeling like you were alive before the apocalypse, and for a scenario this realistic, a game as realistic as Project Zomboid would be perfect for it.

This looks somewhat like "life before the apocalypse", which is a definite NO from the dev team... Something closer to PZ could be simply lots of NPCs (a sandbox mode ?), with limited intelligence (still aware of the apocalypse and trying to defend themselves but they suck). I guess you'd see the disease spreading easily enough.

This looks somewhat like "life before the apocalypse", which is a definite NO from the dev team... Something closer to PZ could be simply lots of NPCs (a sandbox mode ?), with limited intelligence (still aware of the apocalypse and trying to defend themselves but they suck). I guess you'd see the disease spreading easily enough.

Not sure if you noticed that this is a mod suggestion... The devs have from none to little to say about mods' content.

I'm no modder, but I'd say that'd require an insane amount of coding to do.

Consider the crazy amount of work that'd be needed to set for just the civilians alone. 

The population would probably have to be seriously lowered down from 2000 for one area. (Guessing that survivors will be way more memory intensive than zombies)

But hey, you never know.  8-)

you are forgetting something though, we still have parts of Louisville and Fort Knox coming to the map, which should increase the number of people drastically.

Good point.

I'm no modder, but I'd say that'd require an insane amount of coding to do.

Consider the crazy amount of work that'd be needed to set for just the civilians alone. 

The population would probably have to be seriously lowered down from 2000 for one area. (Guessing that survivors will be way more memory intensive than zombies)

But hey, you never know.  8-)

I thought about it a lot. I figured that it would lag like crazy and would need serious optimization. Although I'm not one to conform to limits set by others. If coding was my thing, I'm sure I would find a way, but since I'm not a coder, I'm just throwing the idea out there for anyone who wants to jump on it. If, in fact, anyone does..

I like this idea on paper but in practice:

A.) It's gonna take a while before the zombies even become a thing in your world (especially if they are one town over) 

B.) Unless you hardcore RP it, you will basically act like an insane person from day 1 - breaking into people's houses and stealing their food, hoarding weapons, building "unnecessary" fortifications for an apocalypse only you know is coming

C.) If you do play like this, the game will be incredibly easy - you'll have your megabunker, farm and arsenal all ready before you even see one Z

D.) If you play this way, how are people going to react to you? Will you get arrested for stealing things? Will other NPCs treat you like you're crazy/wonder how the fuck you knew what was going to happen when the Z-bomb actually hits?

E.) If you don't play like this (either because of RPing or in-game restrictions of some sort) what do you do? Go to "work"? Buy things at the mall (requiring things like money and a trade system, which I guess some version of will be added along with NPCs)?

And this is before I've even gotten into the insane coding challenge of tracking all the thousands of NPCs/Zs, who's bitten, who ain't etc. etc.

Overall I don't think this is a mod, it's a whole different game, sadly :(