Onomatophobia & Filtering

There are some people who have onomatophobias (word/phrase phobias) and preferences/sensitivities/easily offendnesses to certain words. As I have been enjoying project zomboid it is mostly the former that I struggle with. If it could be coded into the game (like a txt file for listed words across the game as a whole) in a way that would still allow for multiplayer to have certain words changed or *****ed that would be great.

Maybe it'd just be easier to turn chat off or not play multilayer altogether.

BTW, OnomotoP spelled all the way offends/triggers me. :P

But in all seriousness, from my understanding of Onomatophobia is that it's

1. Rather rare
  2. Different for each person afflicted with it
  • One person could be afraid of the word banana, while the other afraid of the word orange.

Obviously, this could cause some problems, as the developers of the game can't possibly cater to ever single instance of such a rare phobia. Furthermore, there's kind of a catch 22 there-- a person trying to get a certain word banned because they are afraid of it would at some point have to... type it out.

Maybe a good compromise would be an optional swear filter in mutiplayer chat. Although a swear censor would be a great OPTIONAL idea, the content of the game is already considered Mature by the game creators. I see no reason for them to include it in the vanilla game.

Maybe it'd just be easier to turn chat off or not play multilayer altogether.

I agree with that as a suggestion.

But in all seriousness, from my understanding of Onomatophobia is that it's

1. Rather rare
  2. Different for each person afflicted with it
  • One person could be afraid of the word banana, while the other afraid of the word orange.

Obviously, this could cause some problems, as the developers of the game can't possibly cater to ever single instance of such a rare phobia. Furthermore, there's kind of a catch 22 there-- a person trying to get a certain word banned because they are afraid of it would at some point have to... type it out.

Less rare than I think is identified as for most people it is mild. Many people have 'trigger words' that they respond to more strongly than others and they will avoid for various reasons. This technically meets the irrational, excessive, OR unhealthy response of anxiety, stress, fear, anger, frustration, bias, OR the like...

But techincalness and splitting split hairs aside I agree that asking the game makers to edit the whole game for a single person, say me, is unfair. But it seems fair to ask for a filter that could catch all instances of a word to censor it... So a txt file could be made like 'blacklist' and in it you could write 'onomatophobia', 'banana', and 'orange'. So in game if I wrote 'banana' it would show up as ****** or if you went to pick up an orange it would show ***** in the item's name.

Maybe a good compromise would be an optional swear filter in mutiplayer chat. Although a swear censor would be a great OPTIONAL idea, the content of the game is already considered Mature by the game creators. I see no reason for them to include it in the vanilla game.

Its a good compromise because it is what I am asking for. :)

But while project zomboid is mature content for sure I suppose I consider it mild compared to other games I have played. Like say the first doom games or wolfenstine games are considered mature content... but I think in 2015 its almost a joke to say that these games are somehow terrible as they seemd when released.

I just don't imagine the PZ community of players are turned onto the game for PZ's excessive gore, blood, violence, death, and such... if they are I think they are perhaps missing a lot of games that do a lot more with this...

I'm not asking for a thought police, censorship, mandatory political correctness... just that I in my personal enjoyment of the game have it so that if there are words that I want ******* then I can just plop them into a txt file and done...

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I hope mine was equally thoughtful.