New ways to recover health, other than eating.

unmog

Moved from bug forum, again my bad.

It would be nice if there was some medicine, or skill to recover a bit of health. Currently the only way to heal is to eat a lot which gives you a regen bonus, but with how fast the fed bonus disappears you end up having to engorge yourself on tons of food to recover. I understand the realistic nature of that but it wouldnt be completely unrealistic that suturing wounds, bandaging wounds, or taking pills/medicine would also heal you slightly. Granted if you're still losing a lot of health it would still need to get stabilized somehow but the heal only through food thing isn't that realistic either. Either way it'd be better in a game sense if we could recover health in other ways too. Honestly if a scratch can take away a chunk of health then bandaging and treating the wound should give at least some back.

Plus, like I said it would be nice if the well fed bonuses lasted longer than a few minutes. >.> Is there a setting somewhere we can change to make it last longer currently at least?

I know that in the sandbox options you can change your resistance to changes in health, but that will result in everything depleting slower, rather than just the hunger moodle. That's the closest thing I can think of regarding this.

I wouldn't mind alternate ways to heal your character, even if it's something like an adrenaline shot (which would feed in well with addictions when it's added).

Oh, I used that to change it to slow since as I said it disappears too fast, and even with slow it disappears too fast. I might try very slow. But, yea it'd be nice if you could select them individually. I personally think the food is okay ish as it is default, other than well fed disappearing too fast. My main issue is with dying from no water in like a day. Would be nice if we could select the rates individually though~ And not just fast, slow, and so on, but actual numbers. Like three days without water to die.

Other than that, so it reduces the amount of damage you take? Or is that just bleed damage?

Random thought... why doesnt being out in the rain and getting drenched help against being parched anyway? All you would have to do is look up and open your mouth or hold your hands together to get a drink... Last game I died of thirst in the middle of a rain storm :/

Oh, I used that to change it to slow since as I said it disappears too fast, and even with slow it disappears too fast. I might try very slow. But, yea it'd be nice if you could select them individually. I personally think the food is okay ish as it is default, other than well fed disappearing too fast. My main issue is with dying from no water in like a day. Would be nice if we could select the rates individually though~ And not just fast, slow, and so on, but actual numbers. Like three days without water to die.

Other than that, so it reduces the amount of damage you take? Or is that just bleed damage?

Random thought... why doesnt being out in the rain and getting drenched help against being parched anyway? All you would have to do is look up and open your mouth or hold your hands together to get a drink... Last game I died of thirst in the middle of a rain storm :/

I think the stat decrease only applies to moodles, though I'm not certain on that.

I do agree with that dehydration in a rain storm point though. Realistically, you could quench your thirst slightly gathering water with your hands, but there'd be no decent way of implementing something like that. I'm still all for non-carpentry rain collecting methods (buckets, empty bottles, etc) though that has been discussed before.

Hmm, I messed up quotes somehow.

but there'd be no decent way of implementing something like that

Sure it is :) Just have it so if your outside in the rain you naturally recover your thirst bar. :) You know, while you're wet bar is increasing thirst goes down some. It comes with the penalty of possibly getting sick, sure, but its better than straight up dying. It can be automatic like drinking from a bottle of water.

BTW, people dont get sick simply from getting wet or cold, but a bit besides the point.

Hmm, I messed up quotes somehow.

but there'd be no decent way of implementing something like that

Sure it is :) Just have it so if your outside in the rain you naturally recover your thirst bar. :) You know, while you're wet bar is increasing thirst goes down some. It comes with the penalty of possibly getting sick, sure, but its better than straight up dying.

BTW, people dont get sick simply from getting wet or cold, but a bit besides the point.

Hm, I dunno about it automatically going up when you're out in the rain, because there will be times when you're fighting zombies or doing an action in which you can't theoretically throw your head back and open your mouth.

I think the best way to do this would be to have wet clothing. When the damp moodle comes up, that signifies that your clothing is starting to get wet, and progressively so the longer you stay outside. You can take off this clothing and, if you have an empty container in your inventory, you could squeeze the water out of your clothing to get some (tainted) drinking water.

The devs said they didn't want anything to do with hygiene, but this doesn't really tie in with that, at least I don't think.

Sure, but that is also easily done automatically. You just wouldnt have the thirst "regeneration" effect if you were doing something physically exerting. Like sprinting, or fighting. But if your just walking or standing then it could go up no problem.

Actually I guess this is a little off the rails from the original suggestion, should I make a sepperate topic for being out in the rain recovering thirst perhaps?

Well vitamins should have boost to healing for 1 day. I really don't know why it only interact with tiredness, it doesn't have any sense.

I also agree with food, current eating system is kinda broken. If character ate a 1 or 1/2 soup pot for example (with 3 different ingredients) he should be well feed for like 4 hours not 5 seconds in-game time.

If vitamins were to heal, it would need to be a controlled boost to prevent players from spamming them.

Current eating system makes sense when you take into consideration the default time system, that being 30 minutes for a full 24 hour cycle. 

That's what i mean, vitamins should give boost to healing, not healing and of course it wouldn't be possible to multiply a boost.

I know that 24 hour cycle = 30min in RL but still "well feed" moodle last for like 5s in RL time and 5min in game time.

That's what i mean, vitamins should give boost to healing, not healing and of course it wouldn't be possible to multiply a boost.

I know that 24 hour cycle = 30min in RL but still "well feed" moodle last for like 5s in RL time and 5min in game time.

I'd definitely say that's an over-exaggeration, but I do see where you're coming from.  :P

If you're at the highest point of being well-fed, it tends to last for around just under minute or so, which is enough if you ask me.

I dont know maybe it depends on what you set the game time to [like how many hours makes a day, I put it to 2.] and maybe how fast stats degrade, I tried putting it to slow. And even with it set to that my well fed turns into fed in what seems like... maybe 10-20 seconds... I havent timed it but it definitely isnt a minute.

Still the main point is I think if people getting clawed at and beaten etc lowers health, then bandaging, medicine and such should be able to give a little back. My last guy died by climbing through a broken window that was locked from the outside of a second story building that couldnt be opened [made a post about that already] and he got a cut on his groin that continued hurting my health even after I bandaged it... must have been some cut, oww >.>

Of course I didnt even realize I was hurt until the little broken bone moodlet showed up saying I had an injury, and that was only after it had been bleeding and I lost a good chunk of health already. The only thing I could do was bandage it and eat some chips I had on me, but the well fed didnt last long at all and since nothing I could do actually recovered any health I died. I was carrying a first aid kit at the time and I tried disinfecting it, wrapping it, unwrapping and trying adhessive bandages, medicine, The only thing I havent figured out yet is stiching wounds if thats possible... still nothing I could do would prevent the health loss and nothing I did gave me any health back, i ended up dying across the street of my safe house, didnt have quite enough time to get back to my fridge... which I guess woulda saved my life? >.> Hows that realistic exactly? >.>;;

Hmm if you got that wound when climbing through broken window it could be glass shards in your wound. You need tweezers to remove them then bandage/ stitch your wound. If you do it then your health will stop decreasing.

thats odd, well it didnt "say" I had glass in my wound, I think. I guess I didnt have tweezers on me though so it might not have popped up. How do you know if you have glass in your wound?

'Lodged Glass Shards' will be displayed and, if exposed, you'll see the shards on the health panel character. You don't know if you have lodged shards if it's bandaged though.