Grappling Hook

Houski

Recipe: 2 Crowbars + 1 duct tape + 3 rope = 1 Grappling Hook.

Allows you to throw it through a 2nd or 3rd floor Window, balcony or roof and secures as a rope upwards.

Balance:

Pro:  Allows you to evade Zed in a chase, Reusable, Faster than rope deployment, Rope Deployment from Below. Potentially useful in PvP.

Con: It's heavy to carry around, makes noise if going through a window. Sacrifices good gear.

Misc: Can be removed by another PC or NPC who spots it, causing any person on the rope to fall.

Possibly use to traverse between buildings within 3 tiles? Possibly usable as a silly ranged weapon?

I'm not sure how it would destroy the spirit of the game.

Sheet ropes can only be applied from the top floor, whereas this is used to access a high area from below.

I see the use as a player/NPC trying to gain access property that is blocked off somehow - maybe the property has been barricaded up on the bottom floor, or someone has destroyed the staircase.

To me this should be a building-entry mechanic only and not-so-much a zombie-evasion technique. It should take a few attempts to succeed, and be quite a slow process, to prevent a player just jumping out of danger.

Honestly, It would absolutely destroy the spirit of the game, especially considering the fact that there are sheet ropes already.

That's a bit of a silly thing to say IMO. I'm neither supporting nor criticising the idea, but something as trivial as a grapple on the end of a rope does not have the potential to "absolutely destroy the spirit of the game", and I don't see how sheet ropes make the idea any less relevent, as they can only be placed from a floor to the ground level.

Why? So we can remove as much tension from the game as possible?

A lot of ideas that people claim make sense don't seem to understand that adding an item for every situation stops making those situations tense.

If you are dumb enough to go into a walled off alley, you best hope you have a fence to climb, a door or window to break, or hope you can fight off the horde following you. This here is tense, this is what the game is suppose to be like, if he had a friggin item like this then it would completely undo this tension. "Oh wrong turn? A mistake I should have a consequence for? No problem, I will just grapple to the building and climb out."

One can argue if you want the tension not to build an item, lets be real. In any game if the option is their we will take it, whether we want to or not, deep down we will have that regret inside but can't help it.

SO I disapprove of the idea, as he said sheetrope is in the game and that is more then enough.