So I played Civilization:Beyond Earth..

Marinus

...on the free Steam trial, and while it isn't a bad game, it feels like a fun and elaborate Civ 5 mod at best.  I'll probably pick it up when it approaches a single digits price, but 50 Euros? Really? It also gave me the sads for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. :cry:  Me so sad, cuz the drones need me.... :-|

Well, yeah, it was definitely another experience, but it really didn't feel like a different game to me. The only thing that's drastically different is the science-web. Anyway, I will definitely pick it up later on, but 50 Euros is outrageous.

Sunk a couple hours into it. Though it's not largely different from Civ5, it plays well and scratched the itch for a sci-fi based version of the game.

Endless Legend suffers from a very, very easy to defeat AI (seem to be able to stomp them with just one or two full-sized armies) . . . on hardest settings. Sort of takes the fun out of it, unless you plan to play with others.

It was fun enough, and there definitely some interesting new content. But I heard a lot of negative stuff about it. And judging from this early sale, I reckon it's price will nose-dive in the not to distant future. Anyway, I picked up Alpha Centauri incl. Alien Crossfire instead. That game aged very well, btw.

A big problem of Civilization: Beyond Earth is the fact that you are playing Civilization V with a few changes. I think it was made for the ones that haven't bought Civ V, and trying to pick Sci-fi fans to follow the franchise, but once you have played Civ V, I think there is no reason for you to play Beyond Earth.

And of course, not being an Alpha Centauri game is the worst problem

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind 8 bit gfx, get Master of Magic.

It's Civ 1 mixed with Magic: The Gathering and Heroes of Might & Magic / Age of Wonders.

One of my all-time favorites!

When it comes to fantasy-4x, warlock: masters of the arcane and fallen enchantress: legendary hereos (what is it with all that two-part titles?^^) are two kinda recent games, which have a nice approach, too

Archived