Foraging - Upper Level Abilities

Houski

I think that it would be appropriate if the upper levels of Foraging included the following abilites:

Level 3: Dumpster Dive (at dumpters and garbage cans only; chance to find addition "hidden" items)

Level 4: Gather Bait (a foraging option at bodies of water), Gather Herbs (item that can be added to food to decrease boredom)

Level 5: Gather Fish (an upgraded foraging option at water), Gather Medicine (items that can reduce common illness)

In terms of game balance, I think it would be best to have medicial herbs (which ameliorate normal illness - not zombification) be restricted to the highest tier of Forage. Though I wouldn't be opposed to having it at lower levels if there was a chance you'd get Poison Herbs instead.

Yeah, I don't know why foraging got no books. There are plenty of them in the realworld (see Freegans)

Also, the exhaustion you suffer for foraging seems a tad high and with the limited sight-lines of the areas you have to forage in, it makes the risk v. reward really bad for the skill.

It might be beneficial to expand the areas you can forage in based upon level. I know a bit about doing it in real life, and you can forage weird stuff in weird places. Purslane grows in the cracks in car lots, for instance. Not that I'd want to eat that, but it is a proof of concept.

Maybe:

level 1 restricts to forests

level 2 prairie or clearings

level 3 grassy areas and lawns

level 4 along dirt roads

level 5 urban environments (anywhere).