Some sounds!

Fortport

I would just like to say, that I love that this game is getting some sounds.. but then, with all the small stuff (like opening and closing bags) some things really jarred me.

How come I don't hear anything when I close or open curtains? How about put up a curtain, too? I don't think I hear anything when I forage either. (Not sure about that, but the curtains, yes.)

Not to mention climbing through windows, hopping fences, (fishing? I don't know, I haven't fished, but I'm pretty sure you don't hear the reeling and stuff. Unsure.) There's no sound when traps catch something. Metal doors sound no different than wooden ones. I don't hear anything when I dump stuff on the floor, or when I use disinfectant. Yada-yada..

I just think these things bring us that much closer to a simulation! I would just get all tingly and happy to hear these.

It is a neat feature but i could careless. i would like it too but i rather have cars or better AI before they add sounds to putting up curtains and etc. Just an opinion but that's what i have to say on the topic

They have a separate sound guy who they hire to do sounds on occations, so it wouldn't be that much off of dev time.

And to add a new sound system called FMOD is going to be implemented soonTM. It's basically a sound engine that adds more directional possibilities, echoes, delays and such to already existing sounds.

I've decided to make a list of sounds I feel like the game lacks, to make this post less vague for developers!

• Mentioned above: pages turning when reading books or the newspaper; scribbling when writing on notepads, sheets of paper, etc.

• Preparing food/butchering, vague sounds of cutting vegetables, gutting an animal, etc.

• Foraging, e.g audible rustling, twigs snapping, shaking branches and stuff falling off.

• Plastic crackling and foil sheets being popped open when waiting for the progress bar to fill up after selecting "take pill." When it fills, you hear a gulping sound.

• Dressing and undressing. Vague fabrics rubbing together and zippers being pulled.

• Splashes when you pour something out on the floor/ground.

• Unfastening the cap on a water bottle before you drink from it, or the plastic sides popping subtly when you're done. Like in real life.

• Opening containers, this is a big one! The sound of a fridge door coming open, and slamming shut.. or its electric hum when idle. Sound of a trash-can lid being pried off when you peek in the garbage, lockers clicking, drawers sliding out and back in, etc, etc. This makes looting a more satisfying experience, since you do it all the time.. the fact you hear nothing but your bags while you do this, feels empty.

• Climbing over fences and through windows, wired fences could jingle, the sound of feet hitting the ground when you scale it.

• Weapons sounding different! The same-old, generic thwack sound makes combat feel plastic. Golf clubs having shrill, metal impact.. baseball bats that have a wooden crack with their deep, rib-shattering, crunchy thumps, etc.

• Dropping items. Even if it's generic, and there's no variation, something is better than nothing.

• Stringing up, closing, and opening curtains.

• First-aid sounds. Picking glass out of wounds, dumping a bottle of disinfectant, wrapping
    bandages, etc.

• More global sounds, but not quite ambient. Generators humming, lights buzzing, a distinct sound when a horde is migrating outside.. like indistinct marching, and an ominous chorus of moaning. 

• Traps snapping shut with their prey, as well as the sound of the animal that had died inside.

• Glass crunching under your shoes when you walk in front of a window that was shattered.

I like the idea dont get me wrong but i just thought it would take away precious time and/or money. Still like the idea.

I guess this is more for after the game's finished, perhaps? Hm. Right now, it's really ambitious to attempt with what PZ has on its plate right now. And it's a big plate.