Allow Characters to have Positively Unbalanced Traits

Croak90

So I was curious and checked, but you can start with an excess of points for positive points (such as if you take a bunch of negative traits and no positive traits) so I wanted to suggest allowing the opposite, purely as an option for people who may want to role play as themselves. Because let's be honest, being a hearty eater and getting thirsty more often is plenty to justify being strong and athletic. For a challenge, people can still balance out their traits, but for the more casual role player types why not remove the lock?

I don't keep track of mods so there may be one for this, but for such a small thing why not just put it in the vanilla? Code wise it should literally just be the removal of an if statement.

As a mod? Sure. As part of the game? No.

At some point you have to draw the line as far as "too easy" goes. It's a core aspect of the game and one that's prevalent across the RPG genre.

At any rate, I'm quite sure there's been a mod for it so maybe have a look around.

The thing is it makes the game more difficult in an unrealistic way. If that weren't the case I never would have taken issue with it.

Even more so, the fact that it remains optional kind of destroys your reasoning. If you find that being able to do that makes the game too easy, why do it? It's not like making Strong and Athletic traits mandatory. Sure, disable it for multiplayer. But for singleplayer why not? When you don't have to and other people playing the game in a way you wouldn't doesn't affect you in the slightest.

I think it is the wrong way of looking at it, i know the game is supposed to emulate the everyday joe, but if a virus or what-ever were able to make an apocalypse based on bites and scratches alone, i am pretty sure only the Not-average-joe's would have survived anyways. 

Anyways the prblem would be that most people would just take all the positive traits and i agree that would be pretty lame in most cases. 

It could be added for sandbox mode maybe, but for survival that are supposed to be "the way devs want it to be played" i don't think it is a very good idea.  

The thing is it makes the game more difficult in an unrealistic way. If that weren't the case I never would have taken issue with it.

Even more so, the fact that it remains optional kind of destroys your reasoning. If you find that being able to do that makes the game too easy, why do it? It's not like making Strong and Athletic traits mandatory. Sure, disable it for multiplayer. But for singleplayer why not? When you don't have to and other people playing the game in a way you wouldn't doesn't affect you in the slightest.

The same reason almost every single game ever made doesn't hand you everything on a golden platter- there's a point where the devs need to stay true to their vision.

There's also the fact that, in most cases, game devs just know better than players what's fun. This is, in my opinion, the perfect example. The game is already so easy that they're struggling to make it harder to keep it fun- this is not going to help that.

Care to explain the sandbox settings for making everything easier then? Because your reasoning still doesn't add up compared to everything else they've done.

Its like going to a restraint and ordering a $20 steak, getting it then having the waiter tell you that you can't put BBQ sauce on it because that's not how the chef wants you to eat it. I paid for the steak, so I'll eat it how I want it. The steak is still a fucking steak. You see my point?

Its an optional change that is realistic that doesn't make the game too easy (not anymore than nerfing every possible thing about zombies in the sandbox) because it's bloody optional, and as far as implementing it goes give me the file that checks if there's a point imbalance and I'll change the code myself in 30 seconds.

Any other opinions you want to throw against facts and set rules?

Oh, you can put BBQ sauce on it, but you'll have to make a very minor and trivial adjustment to your Steak in LUA.

As you can tell, I'm with Rathlord in this idea that adding additional options somehow dilutes the core game, even if they're optional. It changes the perception of what the "normal" game should be.

Crazy, I know.

The devs have their idea of the game. The game is being developed towards that idea. Since not everyone likes that exact idea, the devs have exposed the vast majority of game functionality to modification via LUA, and a mod-loading system that makes using mods easy. You are more than welcome to create a mod to make the game work how you want it to, that's why all the work has gone into exposing the game's innards. However, you are not welcome to try and force your vision on the devs.

You are also more than welcome to suggest changes. Insisting your change is totally and utterly necessary, at length, even after you've basically been told "Against game plan, never going to happen" isn't being lovely.

Again, please do look into making a mod for this. If you don't know how to, ask in the mods section of the board, or in the chatroom (if you're patient), we have many lovely people who'll talk you through the basics. Take a look at the example mod, it gives you a good idea of how the mod loader works, and how mods work.

Finally, I'm locking this thread now, since if it goes any further, I suspect I'll have to get my warning hammer out again, and it's already had too much use today.