Farming overhaul plz :3

raymond

Ok, so I don't really like the farming system as it is nowadays. I was cheating a bit to skip time so that plants grow faster, by digging the same ground tile for 11 times, which adds a drowsey moodlet. I don't think such amount of digging is this exhausting, and it'd be better if they make digging longer and less tiring, that'd balance something up. Also, you get XP only for harvesting, none for sowing and none for treating the plants. Means griefers can both boost farming annd get food while you grew it all by yourself. Sure, harvesting should add some XP, but I'd assign more to sowing and treating.

Also, old and common suggestion about fertilizer from spoils and corpses. Or else spoils and corpses just decrease the map and inventory spaces.

Sowing shouldn't give XP in farming. That way, you just gain xp just by making holes the way you gaing carpentry xp just by sawing logs. ¿Should you gain XP in carpentry just for cutting trees or in trapping just for placing traps? I don't think so.

On the other hand, I'm ok if you get less xp for harvesting and more xp for watering and taking care of the plant.

Sowing shouldn't give XP in farming. That way, you just gain xp just by making holes the way you gaing carpentry xp just by sawing logs. ¿Should you gain XP in carpentry just for cutting trees or in trapping just for placing traps? I don't think so.

On the other hand, I'm ok if you get less xp for harvesting and more xp for watering and taking care of the plant.

Sowing = wasting seeds which seem unreplenishable as of 29.3 - I have 5 farming, didn't get one seed from harvesting. As for log sawing, it is work too, you have to find an axe, a saw, and get in an area which may be dangerous - well worth some XP, if you ask me.

I agree that the farming experience should be given in a different way. When we were playing MP with my gf, she was mainly doing all the farming work but she sometimes wasn't available to harvest the food before it was too late, so I was doing some harvesting when she couldn't. I ended up with more farming experience than she did.

Why not give the farming experience not depending on the player's actions (dig, sow, harvest etc...), but on the plants/veggies he's growing ? Like you could collect some XP by checking YOUR OWN plants everyday, and you recieve xp depending on their health + a very little bonus when harvesting. You couldn't collect XP by checking other players' plants. Which means you'd level up faster if you're doing a good farming job and take good care of your garden.

Sowing = wasting seeds which seem unreplenishable as of 29.3 - I have 5 farming, didn't get one seed from harvesting. As for log sawing, it is work too, you have to find an axe, a saw, and get in an area which may be dangerous - well worth some XP, if you ask me.

You gotta wait for the plants to go to seed, first. It's the final stage of growth after the plants have become harvestable.

I'm currently playing 29.3 and I recover seeds every time I harvest in with growing phase 7/7 (seed-bearing state). ¿Are you sure it doesn't work?

Think about this: you make a hole, you drop some seeds and then you know how many water the plant needs, how many hours does the plant needs to get to the next stage and in what stage is the plant... just by dropping seeds in holes. It makes no sense for me, like leveling up carpentry up to level 4 just for sawing logs (which could make sense just for level 1, but not for level 3 or 4).

About the danger of going to get wood for leveling up sawing, you shouldn't get xp just for doing something dangerous because that's not the way learning works. You learn by doing stuff related to that skill, so it's ok to level up the first level just sawing because when you saw you learn how to treat the wood, how to do and how not to do things, but that should cover just level 1. Sowing seeds, unlike sawing, doesn't give you the kind of feedback of how you are doing your work. 

I don't like getting all the xp (not even a major part) when you harvest, because the most important part of the job is taking care of the plant: watching it, watering it, curing the diseases. For me, that's where you should get the xp, not just by harvesting (which is important, but not the most decisive plants).

If all this comes because someone has harvested your crops, think what would happen if you chop 50 trees and meanwhile someone saws all the logs you have left behind.

I agree that the farming experience should be given in a different way. When we were playing MP with my gf, she was mainly doing all the farming work but she sometimes wasn't available to harvest the food before it was too late, so I was doing some harvesting when she couldn't. I ended up with more farming experience than she did.

Why not give the farming experience not depending on the player's actions (dig, sow, harvest etc...), but on the plants/veggies he's growing ? Like you could collect some XP by checking YOUR OWN plants everyday, and you recieve xp depending on their health + a very little bonus when harvesting. You couldn't collect XP by checking other players' plants. Which means you'd level up faster if you're doing a good farming job and take good care of your garden.

You can learn about farming by watching other plants grow, that's how the mankind learned how to farm. If you farm in with other players, why you can't learn how to farm by watching and helping them and you need to plant your own plants? what if the other player dies at level 5 farming and you are new to the farming system because he planted all the plants but you are the one that cares and harvest the plants? I would better give xp to the player that tends the crops (even if they aren't his plants) than to the player that just inspects once a day the plants and do nothing because the rain waters the plant and he has nothing to do until harvest time.

You can learn about farming by watching other plants grow, that's how the mankind learned how to farm. If you farm in with other players, why you can't learn how to farm by watching and helping them and you need to plant your own plants? what if the other player dies at level 5 farming and you are new to the farming system because he planted all the plants but you are the one that cares and harvest the plants? I would better give xp to the player that tends the crops (even if they aren't his plants) than to the player that just inspects once a day the plants and do nothing because the rain waters the plant and he has nothing to do until harvest time.

Valid point. But the reasoning could apply to pretty much any knowledge, being able to learn from watching others do their job. But we have to keep in mind this is a role playing game, so we can assume the people who will take on the farmer (or any other job) role will be commited to it, he wouldn't just check on the plants to get xp.

Maybe plants could give xp to 2 different players because yeah, that makes sense in a community there could be a couple of farmers taking care of all the plants planted by only one of them.

In it's actual state, the one who cares about the plant don't get any xp, while anybody who comes up at the right time can harvest to still the food + xp.

In it's actual state, the one who cares about the plant don't get any xp, while anybody who comes up at the right time can harvest to still the food + xp.

Yes, that's why I like giving xp to the player who actually takes care of the plants instead of giving it to the player who pants it or who harvest it. Right now it's just: sow the seeds, water them for the first time and return in x days to harvest and get a lot of xp for doing almost nothing. Doesn't seem fair even if no one steals your harvest.

Well, sometimes how you plant the seeds is important, too. My cousin, who is a farmer, said that one of the best way to grow corn is to put the seeds 5 meters below the ground (I don't remember exactly, my bad, just an example), he said that ancient Native Americans used to do that, but nowadays it's an almost unused method. I actually meant that treating plants should get you most of the XP, but now it give NONE. Also, by digging the holes, you do the basic thing in agriculture, surely, if you develop that idea, it should only give XP to a total noob, as well as sawing planks and so on. But, I think when you want to really master some thing, you have to learn the basics first, and not forget but develop it while learning more complicated stuff. Basics require practice, too. And in this game, I don't think sawing logs gives you way too much XP, does it?

And in this game, I don't think sawing logs gives you way too much XP, does it?

I leveled up from level 0 to level 4 just sawing logs. If you have the skill books and plenty of trees nearby, you can level up from 0 to 4 in 2 or 3 weeks easily. I think every log you saw gives you 3 xp, but if you add each levels multiplier, you can get a good amount of xp for leveling up. levels 4 and 5 takes long enough to make it tedious, but if you are low on nails and have enough trees to chop, you can go to carpentry level 5 just by sawing logs.

Well, sometimes how you plant the seeds is important, too. My cousin, who is a farmer, said that one of the best way to grow corn is to put the seeds 5 meters below the ground (I don't remember exactly, my bad, just an example), he said that ancient Native Americans used to do that, but nowadays it's an almost unused method. I actually meant that treating plants should get you most of the XP, but now it give NONE. Also, by digging the holes, you do the basic thing in agriculture, surely, if you develop that idea, it should only give XP to a total noob, as well as sawing planks and so on. But, I think when you want to really master some thing, you have to learn the basics first, and not forget but develop it while learning more complicated stuff. Basics require practice, too. And in this game, I don't think sawing logs gives you way too much XP, does it?

Five meters?! That's two and a half of me, stacked lengthwise. Surely that's a typo of some kind.

I do believe that tending the plants should give you some xp, though. That's how you learn how to take care of them after all.

Yes, this makes more sense.

The idea I could come up with regarding the slight tweak in the farming system (really, there isn't much to "overhaul", the system stands perfect as it is. "Overhaul" usually means a full re-write, it doesn't need that.) :

First of all, XP. Let's say that sowing seeds, watering seeds, checking seeds, disinfecting seeds gives you an XP, but the amount of it is so small that you'd have to check/water/sow a plant of 40x40 tiles garden before you get anywhere significantly. Basically, it gives you that little XP boost, just like sawing logs for carpentry, but for it to actually matter you'd have to do a LOT of the same action, making some people shiver just at the thought of it happening (and still let REALLY motivated farmers get their XP's without harvesting).

OR, on the other hand, it could NOT give you XP doing everything of the above, BUT depending on how much care you took of THAT SPECIFIC PLANT determines a couple of bonuses like - extra XP (the more you take care of the plant, the more XP you get after harvesting it) and extra amount of harvested goods (like 3+ more potatoes from that crop).

Oh, and of course - variety. We all want to grow MORE things :) Let us grow apple trees (very-long term, very-high reward), corn (Not sure about that one, could be used to obscure visibility aswell), cucumbers, onions, pickles... Just more of the stuff.