Staganet Water

Strang

If you have ever had to wash a birdbath, you would know that standing water becomes very dirty and disgusting fast. Water in barrels should become dirty and infested with bacteria if left standing for a while. Drinking the dirty water will lead to extreme sickness or death. There would have to be a way to view the water getting dirty, so how about the water slowly turning green over time. This could also bring the possibility of water purification tablets, allowing you to expand the life of your water supply in the early stages of dirtyness

Quick actual question, does water just spoil if it is in contact with air?

For example, if I left it COMPLETELY concealed inside a bottle, would it stay fine?

I'm gonna speak from intuition so I might be wrong, but I think it would spoil even if concealed, but after a wayyyy longer time. As it's impossible to bottle pure bacteria-less water, I'm pretty sure if you keep it bottled for a few months/years, the "dirt" in it would find a way to "expand"

If you just filled a random bottle with "clean" water and closed the container, it probably won't last too long . . . few days/weeks? Place it in the sun/light, and it'll last even less time.

Bottles of filtered water, like those from a grocery store, are more or less sterilized with ozone prior to and during bottling. They're good for a long time because of it (same with emergency pouches of water).

I've always thought about the many many buckets and cooking pots full of water under my safehouse kitchen sink and how... unfun it would be to actually be drinking that water day after day. lol. If and or when they do implement water stagnation, I hope they put in a way to boil the water, or some water purification tablets, or a crafted water filter, or all three. 

You can filter water by using coal and/or ashes. That might be one of the multiple uses for the ashes you get burning zombies or your house. And by adding the need of clean campfires (or just another slot to place the fuel and recover the ashes), combustion stoves and bbqs, you could get a good ammount of ashes to clean water to make it drinkable.

Mmm, not quite sure about that: there's a lot of nasty stuff in ashes/coal from combustion that wasn't present in the whole material.

Sure you don't mean activated charcoal? It's effectively created by burning wood in a pot over a fire, with a lid on it.

Mmm, not quite sure about that: there's a lot of nasty stuff in ashes/coal from combustion that wasn't present in the whole material.

Sure you don't mean activated charcoal? It's effectively created by burning wood in a pot over a fire, with a lid on it.

I believe all you need are layers of sand and gravel on top of the activated charcoal. Put the layers in a drum raised on a platform with a spigot at the drum bottom. Pour nasty water in up top and get potable water from spigot below.

Yes, it's activated charcoal, but the ashes (as far as i know) can be common ashes, and as Jatta Pake said, gravel, sand and cloth (which are in game) are the rest of the components for the purifier. Probably activated charcoal ashes are better than common ashes, but i've seen using not activated charcoal ashes.

Yes, it's activated charcoal, but the ashes (as far as i know) can be common ashes, and as Jatta Pake said, gravel, sand and cloth (which are in game) are the rest of the components for the purifier. Probably activated charcoal ashes are better than common ashes, but i've seen using not activated charcoal ashes.

File down some silver coinage into that charcoal (prevents bacteria from gaining a foothold)and you've got yourself a pretty long lasting, safe water filter.

If you just filled a random bottle with "clean" water and closed the container, it probably won't last too long . . . few days/weeks? Place it in the sun/light, and it'll last even less time.

Bottles of filtered water, like those from a grocery store, are more or less sterilized with ozone prior to and during bottling. They're good for a long time because of it (same with emergency pouches of water).

This is actually not true. One method of purifying water (well, sterilizing really) is to take a clear plastic bottle and leave it in the sun for a long time (like 5-10 hours). The UV rays kill pretty much all bacteria. IIRC this is a popular method in Africa but obviously won't help with heavy metals/pollution in the water.

I think this should be implemented. And you should have the option to boil water as stated, but to further on this-

You should have the option to poison water too. Say you're in a war with a rival group, server or NPC wise- they killed your friends and family and you want revenge before they take more of your people. So, you sneak into their camp and douse their rain collection barrels, wells, what have you with poisons or even just scraps of zombie flesh, directly shoving the infected flesh into their water supply.

And as for other ideas of filtration and getting water sources, having a plastic wrap, making a hole in the ground and placing said wrap above it, covering said hole and then pissing on it was one method to get water- I might be forgetting some processes of it but that was the gist.

Barrels should also feature stagnation of water, but there should be a difference between tier 2 and tier 4 barrels in terms of how fast it stagnates, a black paper bag versus a sealed container, the latter won't spoil as fast.

Drinking from any source of water, including rivers and lakes, should be an option. But obviously there should be risk, stagnant water even more so. In terms of risk of drinking water:
Boiled/filtered water, absolutely no risk.

Barrels with fresh rain, barely any risk.

rivers and moving water/rushing water-moderate risk of sickness

stagnant water (tier 2 barrels, lakes and puddles) high risk of sickness.

Water with corpses in it, poisoned water, and toilets/sewage- There's a snake in my boot and somebody poisoned the water well. *dead*