HoursForLootRespawn - Changing value has no effect

KarenB88

Just as the title says - I've run my server and map for a bit now and wanted to experiment with the HoursForLootRespawn setting, to balance and find the ideal respawn rate. When I started the server the respawn rate was 24, and I had reports that it worked and items were respawning.

Feeling the items respawned too seldomly, I set the respawn rate to 12, 2 and 1 and tested it - yet nothing respawns in that time. I've tried to change the value both manually via editing the settings, and typing new values through the /changeoption server command. Any idea why it won't work, and what might fix it?

Thanks. :)

Might be a bug, also RJ said something about it not being able to function at numbers like 1 or 2 hours if I remember correctly.

Would you say that it is definitely 100% not working at the intervals you stated? If so, being a veteran server admin, I'd gladly take your word for it and confirm it as an issue should you report it to the bug tracker. :)

We don't have all that many server admins running around testing things like that, that is why we have had previous issues with server settings not working correctly due to writing menu indexes instead of raw values for example and that took ages to get reported simply due to the disparity between hosts and clients.

Thank you for bringing this into the light, and should you feel lazy and would prefer I write the bug tracker ticket instead just PM me.

Kind regards.

Thanks Karen :)

Also I might have been mistaken about 2 hours being a problem. Here is a quote below. Please forgive the formatting, it was copied directly from the "Find content" thingy and it is a littly weird. I'll enclose it in a spoiler just because my inner format nazi wants to puke lol.

Posted by RobertJohnson on 03 September 2014 - 12:12 PM in PZ Updates:

Use minimum 2 in HoursForLootRespawn, 1 could cause problem because of float.

Zone size depend.. For town it's basically a small part of the neighbourg, like 2-4 house max

Hope that sheds some light on it, but looking at what you said I am leaning with you on this being bugged.

I tried it with 2 hours and it definitely worked. The rules are:

• No player can see any part of the zone for HoursForLootRespawn hours.
  • The container must have been looted (at least one item removed).
  • No carpentry-made containers or dead bodies will respawn items.
  • The container must have less than MaxItemsForLootRespawn items.
  • There can't be any construction (carpentry stuff) in the zone.  (this seems a bit strange)

On top of all that, spawning is still random.  So even if a container meets all the requirements above, there is still some chance nothing will respawn.

• There can't be any construction (carpentry stuff) in the zone.  (this seems a bit strange)

Question: Is that 'there can't be any construction' (and when I looked at it it was Door Frame/Wooden Floor/Stairs/Wall) or 'can never have been any construction'?

Basically, does it ever setHaveConstruction(false)?

Hmm, I'm gonna test the 2-hour loot respawn in different zones than I did previously, just in case it's a construction/player visits issue.

I'm wondering, when changing the HoursForLootRespawn through /changeoptions, is the effect immediate? Or must the server restart for the change to take effect?

Hmm, I'm gonna test the 2-hour loot respawn in different zones than I did previously, just in case it's a construction/player visits issue.

I'm wondering, when changing the HoursForLootRespawn through /changeoptions, is the effect immediate? Or must the server restart for the change to take effect?

You have to restart the server or do a /reloadOptions to take effect :)

In my testing /changeoption is immediate but you might want to do a /reloadoptions after just to be sure (to push the new options to clients.)

I remember testing it for welcome messages but the client obviously grabs options every time it joins so it wouldn't have needed the reload...

Edit: seconds slower than a dev ._.

Just to add my 2 cents, it never worked on the two private/public server we have hosted with a friend

Maybe because we set it to 1 or 2 hours, but it was never usefull for MP Public server anyway because 10 active people on the server and there is not much unseen zones left. So it means regular soft wipes and that also wipes all player crates.

Right, I tested it now and unfortunately it's not working. I changed the settings through /changeoptions and then /reloadoptions, and even though it says to respawn items every 3 game hours, it doesn't.

Anything else I can do?

I did get it working in IWBUMS, so I don't know why it doesn't work now.

• 1 month later...

Question: Is that 'there can't be any construction' (and when I looked at it it was Door Frame/Wooden Floor/Stairs/Wall) or 'can never have been any construction'?

Basically, does it ever setHaveConstruction(false)?

Same question here.

I have a warehouse where loot didn't respawn. I destroyed a barricade made by a player that prevent respawn and find no others contruction arround.

It seems that once a construction was made, the zone will not respawn anymore event it the construction is removed.

• 1 month later...

I seem to be running into this issue as well. Loot simply doesn't respawn no matter what setting I use (Tried 24, 12, and 2). I have a base setup across from the Farmers Market and I have been using Cortman Medical as my testing grounds. I have cleared every bit of loot from the first floor and went to my base and waited for several in game days and returned to find nothing had respawned at all. I am using IWBUMS build 30.3 and hosting on a Ubuntu 14.04 server. Any suggestions? Thanks!