Returning Player - Positive Feedback

Strider

This is mostly for the devs. I hope they get to read this, I know they flit through the forums occasionally and I wanted to share what I've enjoyed in my recent play throughs which differed from me previous experiences.

The main positive I'd like to report is lighting. The atmosphere at night now is incredible. I'd love to see a night-time without moonlight. A random chance for it to be cloudy so it's even darker at night. So dark in fact it's as dark outdoors as it is indoors[1]

I recently played Bedford Falls and went on a mission to try and acquire books and a sledgehammer. I failed to get either as I'm not very familiar with the map but I also made a bigger mistake. I let it get dark before I found a place to sleep. Because I couldn't see inside the buildings I realized I never would have found one. In the end I found a relatively safe spot and passed the time more quickly.

A part of me wished that feature wasn't there. I'd have preferred it if the game forced me to pass out from exhaustion on the floor of the garage in which I was hiding but, maybe in later builds...

I love the inclusion of trapping and fishing. Trapping seems to be a lot more difficult than fishing. I seem to have a lot more success with fishing than I do the former. The main reason I like fishing is that it means I don't need to farm which I don't like at all. Even if I do see it as an excellent addition to the game and part of the NPC long play.

The game feels so solid now, so well rounded. It does feel (with the exception of minor glitches) more like a 1.0 game than any beta. NPC's are going to take this game to the next level and I'm really quite keen to see that. The dynamics should be fascinating.

Other improvements I can't even think off but they're all over the place. Changes to the interface. Changes to sound. It's hard to explain or highlight them but here is an example:

When I started playing you often couldn't tell if a zombie were 'dead' or not. You'd have to swing after it was down and if you did a horizontal swing the zombie was down for good. If you hit the floor it was still going to get back up. Now you here the smashing of the skull, the accompanying groan and the splatter of blood just in case you were deaf and stupid. Thankfully I'm both so they're all very helpful, thanks.

I can't think of the other improvements. There have obviously been a load of them under the hood that I cannot see but I can feel them. The game feels a lot more solid.

So, thanks for your hard work. 

[1] This is obviously for after the power goes out.

I'd also like to say this game has made very visible changes and the gameplay has gotten nothing but better, I started really early in the beta stages and it's looking more full each update and I like how the admins/creator take suggestions, that definitely will help make this game awesome. 

Regarding moonlit nights, the moon is actually simulated-- you get moon phases, so you will have nights where it's silvery glow is ever-present.. and those where it's not there at all. And that'll change slowly as you past through the luna cycle

Regarding moonlit nights, the moon is actually simulated-- you get moon phases, so you will have nights where it's silvery glow is ever-present.. and those where it's not there at all. And that'll change slowly as you past through the luna cycle

That's pretty awesome, didn't really notice it though. Perhaps a little filling moon icon on the day/date indicator could work? Abstract it out as a digital watch or something?

Oh right. That's (another) nice feature that I didn't even realize was present. Now I find myself asking. I wonder if I could map the phases of the moon. That'd be PZ hardcore right then. Planning a night-mission on a moonlight night.

Thanks for the info!

That's pretty awesome, didn't really notice it though. Perhaps a little filling moon icon on the day/date indicator could work? Abstract it out as a digital watch or something?

Nah, I have to disagree. PZ is beautiful in it's minimalism. To find this out now is great. If I had an icon it'd have spoilt the surprise. Things like mini maps and such have no place in PZ in my opinion.

<3 :D Thanks for the kind words it means a lot to us all!

As does your hard work.

Archived