[41.78.16] Auto-detection of impact direction does not work (video included)

Unamelable

I wanted to shove the zombie in front, but my character decided to hit the zombie from below instead.

And there is no need to say that spacebar is “hit/push”. I demand control of the situation from the character and shit like this happens. This is clearly not related to the hand script. "I'm holding a  screwdriver"

Edited by Unamelable

The problem that's present here and other similar posts is the green outline straight up misleading players. On that video you can clearly see the green outline on walking zombie, which many players will assume is the one your character is targeting, but in reality, it targets completely different one (in that case zombie on the ground). This whole misunderstanding would be avoided if zombie outline appeared on correct target. This doesn't happen often, but I personally had some bad encounters with misleading outline myself, mostly using guns however. As for the situation that happened in that clip, my advice is to avoid fighting near cars, as it tends to cause targetting outline being off due to zombies being technically around the corner (you cannot hit zombies behind corners) but are still visible to players.

16 minutes ago, TheMitu97 said:

El problema que está presente aquí y en otras publicaciones similares es que el contorno verde engaña a los jugadores. En ese video puedes ver claramente el contorno verde de un zombi andante, que muchos jugadores asumirán que es al que apunta tu personaje, pero en realidad, apunta a uno completamente diferente (en ese caso, un zombi en el suelo). Todo este malentendido se evitaría si el contorno del zombi apareciera en el objetivo correcto. Esto no sucede a menudo, pero yo personalmente tuve algunos malos encuentros con esquemas engañosos, sin embargo, principalmente usando armas. En cuanto a la situación que sucedió en ese clip, mi consejo es evitar pelear cerca de los autos, ya que tiende a causar que el contorno del objetivo se desvíe debido a que los zombis están técnicamente a la vuelta de la esquina (no puedes golpear a los zombis detrás de las esquinas), pero aún son visibles para los jugadores. .

Disable the green outline for hits, it's like weapons, the green outline never confirms that you will hit them XD

Green might technically be good at that exact moment, but 50-100 ms later, once you react and commit to the swing, perhaps not so much. Likewise, after you commit to attacking the closer zombie, the green highlight transferring to the zombie further away during the attack doesn't mean that's the one you're striking now.

It doesn't help that this was just repurposed from guns. It was never meant to be a melee indicator; people just asked for it and got it. Then got a little too dependent on it, imo, just telling people to use it instead of learning how fighting works. The player still needs to learn that they connect only to the first zombie they strike (or the several closest with multihit on, I suppose); that they can't change or sweep targets after committing to attack the closest zombie; that each weapon has an inherent range; and how to time their shots. Sounds overly complicated when written out, but I think it's fairly intuitive unless you focus on the outline for anything other than direction.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 10:55 AM, Unamelable said:

I wanted to shove the zombie in front, but my character decided to hit the zombie from below instead.

And there is no need to say that spacebar is “hit/push”. I demand control of the situation from the character and shit like this happens. This is clearly not related to the hand script. "I'm holding a  screwdriver"

Thank you for providing this info. I'd like to relate an experience I recently had. As someone who appreciates quality research, I discovered help with writing a literature review to be an excellent fit for my requirements. Their commitment to comprehending my issue was comprehensive, and it showed in the final evaluation. I'm really amazed with their attention and knowledge.

Thanks for showing this

Edited by ArthurWeatherford