Friends cant join

Pridelost

I have a decent internet connection and got a group of people to game with me. Everything was great but I had it on insane zombies which everyone was a little annoyed with, just a preference of mine. Anyways, I changed the server settings, did a soft reset with the executable in the game folder, and now nobody can join. It just says connection failed and my console doesn't report any incoming connections. I've tried checking my ports and even re-doing them, having them delete my servers files, deleted my own servers files, uninstalled Zomboid and re installed it. Nothing. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to anything at this point. It just confusing since it initially worked perfectly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get my server to run again. My internal Ip remains the same and now I have no zombies or loot in my server. I can join it with my own internal IP but when I give others my external they get a connection fail. The soft reset program isn't in my game files any more which is odd. Also with the server settings program when I attempt to save it prompts me to locate my project zomboid game folder. When I select it the prompt goes away and comes right back asking for it again. 

Make sure that everyone is connecting to the server via port 16261. Nothing in your post indicates that this isn't case, but for a while my friend and I were trying using 16261 for host, but p2 would enter 16262 in their server settings. This doesn't work, and gives the connection refused message every time- each player connects via 16261, and the server takes over from there.

Good luck- happy surviving!!!

Thank you guys for all of the help but everything has been quadruple checked. You're right Czenkova that I didn't give all of the information I needed to narrow this down. I have ports 16261-16269 open for 8 players. My firewall and antivirus allow Project Zomboid and before I did a soft reset I had others playing in my server. I have given up, broken down, and bought a VPN server to host a server on. Again, thank you guys for the suggestions. 

Thank you guys for all of the help but everything has been quadruple checked. You're right Czenkova that I didn't give all of the information I needed to narrow this down. I have ports 16261-16269 open for 8 players. My firewall and antivirus allow Project Zomboid and before I did a soft reset I had others playing in my server. I have given up, broken down, and bought a VPN server to host a server on. Again, thank you guys for the suggestions. 

Same issue on my end. I've recently had a chance to try out multiplayer. I know how to forward ports and have done so for other programs that I'm actively using, Zomboid is the only one that I've had issue with. Seems to be a hit/miss with some people for whatever reason and in my case I can join my server fine but when it comes to others trying they can't and I've got the range correctly set.

Course not tried waiting 20 minutes as some have reported that if you wait long enough others can join your server, but alas little point in to be waiting for that long each time.

Just going to let it sort itself out.