fixing the "pointless game" argument

Zer0DusT

before anyone jumps me, i'd like to point out this isn't "the greatest idea in the world, just well articulated, to many times is a suggestion passed up because of poor communication.

with that said this was a response on reddit i made that articulated my suggestion well, more to help indie stone since the common complaint i'm seeing for PZ is that its a "pointless game"

i'm suggesting this on the grounds that indie stone's lack of progress, as these complaints go, seems to be a lack of focus on what to do with their current build, and feel what im suggesting will add alot of depth to the game as well as a "point"

copied ber baitum from reddit:

minecraft failed because the team didn't understand it was an unfolding game.

it's what the mods capitalize on, but not the main team, and then need a person to help them focus on that.

it would be the same for PZ, if not carefully assessed.

right now, it's boring and needs a focus to expedite development, and i want to parot, with the "new crafting system" to make it like terraria, with the one life survival focus being on rebuilding society, and terraria contributes to this because it incentiveizes not just building but design, and PZ could do the same since IT LITERALLY HAS ALL THAT NOW.

think about it, why do i need a microwave or generator when a grill or campfire will suffice?

because, like with terraria, the npc's could have specific focuses and no skills in building or cooking, which these items would alleviate, with their needs being time based, they need to eat, they need to sleep, have bathrooms, warm spaces, and could either abandon you with poor support, or die without it.

this could also extend to weapons, now rakes and shovels aren't just hand weapons, their tools for farming, and either need to be replenished, or repaired, for npc's to work, making collection of wood glue and tape a must, and have things like food scrap and ripped sheets as currency for them to do things, with your skills either aiding in their development, or them having that ability upon arrival.

it has scavenging at its core with skill development as a means for self-sustaining the community and taking over certain buildings or structures, as per their "vague" request develops this community more, with the game evolving into reclaiming civilization and the respawning zeds to stop as you spread its influence.

this could be the core of zomboid, since its on point with everything else that's been developed, with the skill mechanics integrated to affect eachother, so wood working and tailoring combined allow you to create a wind mill for farms, or metalworking, electrical, and carpentry, allow you to develop solar panels and sofourth

Edited by Zer0DusT
typos

• 2 weeks later...

I think this discredits what you're saying here as "just reddit being reddit" - Minecraft is still an incredibly successful game, it has not "failed" at all.

Aside from that, I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting, to be honest...

because, like with terraria, the npc's could have specific focuses and no skills in building or cooking, which these items would alleviate, with their needs being time based, they need to eat, they need to sleep, have bathrooms, warm spaces, and could either abandon you with poor support, or die without it.

PZ isn't a colony management game. While there's surely people who would enjoy delegating NPCs and making sure they're all fine, that is quite removed from the core experience and, as such, something that should be included through mods.

it has scavenging at its core with skill development as a means for self-sustaining the community and taking over certain buildings or structures, as per their "vague" request develops this community more, with the game evolving into reclaiming civilization and the respawning zeds to stop as you spread its influence.

In a way, that is what is happening in the next update. The teasers seem like there will be much more of an "Advancing through technological Tiers" than there is currently. That can then serve as a base for modders to implement their own, wider nets.

It's simply that most of this doesn't fit into the game's theme nor setting.

So while we "could" capitalize on whatever modders are doing, it's fairly unlikely this'll change to any great degree when NPCs come in. There'll be more story, but for a certain subset of people, "this is how you died" will always feel pointless ... and that's OK (and, depending on your philosophical bent, that's life!). They can mod it or play something else once they had their fill.

Minecraft also remains one of the most successful games of all time and sees gobs of players active across PC, mobile, and console. It might have failed as an "unfolding game," but then again it was always just legos with some neat survival mechanics bolted ontop of it. That is, I don't think it ever aimed to be anything like that -- beyond taking some rather popular mods and integrating them for the 1.0, anyway. That seemed less to do with a vision and more "it's cool and it's popular, so ... sure."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, Zer0DusT said:

copied ber baitum from reddit:

............ verbatim

Minecraft is now officially the highest selling video game in history at 300 million copies.

it's what the mods capitalize on, but not the main team, and then need a person to help them focus on that.

it would be the same for PZ, if not carefully assessed.

Mods use the framework the developers setup.

The developers are the ones who have to overhaul that framework. 

Creating the framework everything else is built upon takes time because a single mistake in thousands of lines of code can cause crashes, leaks or worst case scenario sentient rogue Ai that tries to take over the world ( security hazards for users by opening up parts not meant to be opened ) 

Games like Fortnite which probably is why people are confused have rapid content is because they have essentially 3 -4 teams working at various stages of content.

You have your main development team and 2 - 3 content teams this is hundreds of employees.

PZ has like 20 if not less and of that some are contract employees.

• 5 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, AleristheSeeker said:

I think this discredits what you're saying here as "just reddit being reddit" - Minecraft is still an incredibly successful game, it has not "failed" at all.

Aside from that, I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting, to be honest...

PZ isn't a colony management game. While there's surely people who would enjoy delegating NPCs and making sure they're all fine, that is quite removed from the core experience and, as such, something that should be included through mods.

In a way, that is what is happening in the next update. The teasers seem like there will be much more of an "Advancing through technological Tiers" than there is currently. That can then serve as a base for modders to implement their own, wider nets.

I think so too, because Minecraft has also made waves in the gaming world