Will we be able to die to wild animals in 42? I think we need more danger from the wilderness instead of husbandry/hunting and food source

bliss

• bliss changed the title to Will we be able to die to wild animals in 42? I think we need more danger from the wilderness instead of husbandry/hunting and food source

The probability of being attacked and killed by a wild animal is astronomically low. I think the most dangerous things are infections and illness caused by weather conditions and bad shelter and no access to meds... 

I could think of snakes maybe but I don't know if there are any poisonous snakes in KY and how often you'd cross their path?

5 hours ago, getstoopid said:

The probability of being attacked and killed by a wild animal is astronomically low. I think the most dangerous things are infections and illness caused by weather conditions and bad shelter and no access to meds... 

I could think of snakes maybe but I don't know if there are any poisonous snakes in KY and how often you'd cross their path?

There are around 4 venomous snakes in that region of the country. The timber rattlesnake is quite venomous but tends to provide warnings with it's rattle and feinting strikes. The copperhead and the cotton mouth are moderately venomous, but aren't terribly aggressive. The least dangerous is the pygmy rattlesnake. But In a world without hospitals, and without antivenom, bites from 3 of them would be very bad although you'd probably survive the venom, you'd have to worry about a nasty infection in the damaged flesh afterwards. People usually get bit by accidentally stepping on one because of their effective camouflage. I know there are some venomous spiders, but I am not very familiar with most of them other than the brown recluse which has a wide range in the US and bites from it can be very, very nasty.

Beyond that there are black bears, and wild boars which are machines of rage best avoided.

Wild boars are literally everywhere where I come from but attacks are practically non-existent. If you don't go near their piglets, that is, of course ;)

Most wild animals try to avoid an encounter with humans, so the risk is low most of the time, but yeah they should be avoided.

And yes, accidents (like stepping on a snake) happen and would be a real bad start into your day... would really like to see such a game mechanic implemented

Archived