Room Definition Reminder

RingoD123

Hi Guys! just a friendly reminder that if you want your buildings to work properly with loot and future NPC's you MUST use the proper room definitions for each room/building.

Upon adding a lot of your guys buildings to the new mega map mod ive realised most of them have incorrect room defs (some made up, some spelt incorrectly, some with capital letters). Obviously I am changing them as I come across them but it means your buildings are only going to work properly in my mod, unless you guys go back through your own buildings and correct them for any future use in your own, or others, map mods.

There is a post here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5461-full-list-of-current-room-definitions/ - that gives you a full list of current room defs and further in that thread it also tells you what you need to do if you want to add your own, new, room definitions.

Thanks!

<3

Hey, I've got some rooms that shouldn't have any loot and I just put in "empty" as a room definition. Would that screw up anything?

I don't think they'll show up as empty though. :???: I think they might draw loot from the "all" category.

btw RingoD did you confirm that from Mash yet? http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5461-full-list-of-current-room-definitions/?p=73739

EDIT: Ninja'd

Any room definitions that are used but not recognised will default to use the "all" definition, so they will spawn random, generic loot, which isn't too bad, but once the NPC's are in, they wont know what kind of room it is to use it properly.

Basically you can use any definition you like, but if you use one which isn't currently in the game then you need to also add it to the suburbsdistribution.lua file. Best way is to include a blank suburbsdistribution.lua file with your building(s) that just have the new definitions in, along with the loot etc you want to spawn there.

If this is done I can then add them to the master suburbsdistribution.lua file both in my mod, and eventually into the official game so that the NPC's will be able to use them properly.

Odd question: If my new definitions are added to the suburbsdistribution.lua file, but they reference new loot (new items not yet in the game), what happens when played?  Will the game crash or ignore the nonexistent items/loot?

For example, I create a new building and a new room definition (let's call it an "art classroom") that is added to the suburbsdistribution.lua.  The new room definition "art classroom" calls for the spawning of "Oil Paints and Canvas" loot in crates that are not in the vanilla game.  Will it cause a game crash?

The reason I ask is because I may want to develop a mod in conjunction with my new map.  However, if the game ignores items not in the game, my map can be designed for a mod but playable for folks who do not want to use my mod.  Hope this makes sense.  I'm still in the early design stages of my new map.

im not too sure atm Jatta, but the best way to do it would be to create 2 suburbsdistribution.lua files, once referencing the new items and one not, therefore whoever installs/uses it would be able to choose between the 2 files, or you could just hand out the lua file without the new items until you have the new items added, atwhich point all you need to do is provide the new lua file that references the new items