Endyr - play together! (or die alone)

Yhoko

Did you ever want to stand or walk around in a video game? Like waiting the whole day for some random hero to appear, telling him or her random stuff? Now you can!

endyr_cameo.jpg

I need a bunch of NPCs (or signs, graves, or anything else) talking about whatever you like! Those will be placed as easter eggs in secret locations, for example a ghost appearing only at a certain time or if special conditions are met.

Limitations
You may suggest such conditions and the NPC's behaviour and anything else your twisted mind comes up with. If it sounds good to me (and can be done within a  reasonable amount of time) I'll include your ideas in the game. Your NPC may or may not offer a real discussion - possibilities range from a quote over simply random short phrases to complex discussion with many branches. Just make sure that every paragraph fits into the typical 3-lines-box (try about 80 chars max per paragraph).

Image rules
For your own character please send me a standard charset (sample charset, full color or paletted PNG, 24x32 each frame, single background color) and a matching faceset (sample faceset, full color or paletted PNG, 96x96 each face, background alpha or any color). Pixel your own original NPC or use one of the numerous generators out there. For signs or other stuff just send your self-made pixel art. The map tile size is 16x16 for reference.

Sending
Send your cameo suggestion to yhoko@gmx.net and make sure to include your Endyr (Yhoko.com) username. Non-original pics (made by someone else or stolen images from RPG makers or other games) are prohibited and will be rejected.

Good luck and have fun!

Yhoko

Added character needs (hunger, thirst, fatigue, fear). While buffs can be either active or not (and time-limited) needs may increase over time, which is shown by their color and (if critical) blinking.

fluids.jpg

Liquids, bottles and the new lantern:

bottles.jpg

Bottles are special kinds of bags that can contain fluids. In this screenshot the open bottle contains 12 units of water. Each unit (square) can be dragged like any other item to allow decanting. Furthermore the lantern contains 2 units of oil and actually burns it over time. Fluids can also be leaked and -of course- used to water plants.

Looks AWESOME but I hope that it will really be a survival game, like: No magics, hunger, thirst and such things...

Wait is this game out and.. is it free? If it's out please give me link, if it's free then let my advice you a thing:

Don't let this game be PAY TO WIN, or just don't let it be "pay and you get some new cool item! Pay and you get blabllalba" or such things, please...

Thank you, I'm glad you like the screenshots!

First: No magic in Endyr. Well, not for the players, that is. Some monsters (and we got a lot of them) might just throw a fireball or poison cloud on you. On the other hand, that might not even count as magic, it's probably just their strange biology giving them such powers.

Second: As mentioned in the FAQ on Endyr.com there will be a monthly fee and that's it. I really don't like those "free" games pushing you into buying this and that super-extra-thingy or keeping half of the game out of your reach until you get premium. Also, I don't like ads, so don't expect any on my websites or games. One thing should be mentioned here: I definitely plan to have some ways for people to obtain game time without paying real money. Like inviting new players and such (details will follow). It won't be easy, but definitely possible.

Thank you, I'm glad you like the screenshots!

First: No magic in Endyr. Well, not for the players, that is. Some monsters (and we got a lot of them) might just throw a fireball or poison cloud on you. On the other hand, that might not even count as magic, it's probably just their strange biology giving them such powers.

Second: As mentioned in the FAQ on Endyr.com there will be a monthly fee and that's it. I really don't like those "free" games pushing you into buying this and that super-extra-thingy or keeping half of the game out of your reach until you get premium. Also, I don't like ads, so don't expect any on my websites or games. One thing should be mentioned here: I definitely plan to have some ways for people to obtain game time without paying real money. Like inviting new players and such (details will follow). It won't be easy, but definitely possible.

Good! The only thing I disagree is monthly, many people has not much money, can't you make it like "You pay, you got the game forever" ? You'll earn money either this way.

AND: Another suggestion, can you make like a "2 days free" version? Cause people may want to try the game before buying!

• 3 weeks later...

The game's story has changed! The original idea was to create a survival game after the world ended, but development somehow went into another direction. It became quite "medieval" and the lighting engine turned out to be a very important element. Furthermore I always wanted monsters to appear in dark places, so this is the new, probably final story:

"Once there was a peaceful world living in endless daylight. But one day the sky became darker and eventually it was night – for the first time in history. Dangerous creatures, only yet known from dark caves, appeared literally everywhere and went against the peaceful people of Endyr. Not knowing how to fight or defense themselves most of them were slaughtered without mercy. Only when the last group was awaiting their fate the darkness slowly disappeared and all the monsters burned in the bright sunlight. The survivors celebrated the new day.

This is the story of those who were lucky this time. But what if the night returned one day? Would they be prepared and survive one more time? Would they step into the caves in order to gather resources for forging weapons and armor? It's all in your hand."

I hope you like it, comments are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks more scary than it is. For example, the oven is a very basic piece of infrastructure. You'll need it to melt iron ore long before even thinking of bread. Melting iron is a basic and it already lets you pour the anvil, forge hammer and mortar. If you look at the tree carefully you'll notice the mortar needs iron while the hammer, saw or pickaxe don't. That's not really the case, of course. It's just because no item is displayed twice and the exporter chose to put the iron where it balances the whole tree best.

So, in a real game scenario you'll harvest grain from the acre, grind it into flour, get your salt and put those ingredients into the oven together with some water. Everything else should already exist at this point.

Introducing context menus for all items:

context_menu.jpg

Each context menu displays the name, count (if stackable) and all available options. It might later be used for accessing additional settings, like eg. changing the oil lamp's brightness (where brighter means faster oil drain).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bunch of items made by me:

item_parade.jpg

And the following diagram shows the importance of iron:

iron_tree.jpg

(not to mention anvil, oven and forge hammer which are very central items, too)

By the way! You may now signup your e-mail address on www.endyr.com to receive a newsletter whenever there's a test or release coming up (as always no spam, no ads, only the stuff that really matters). Please do so if you're interested in testing Endyr.