Would you use a git server for PZ Modding and Mapping?

blindcoder

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a git server for mod development?

• Yes
    • No

Hello Modders, Mappers, Tinkerers and Players!

Some of you may have seen that a few mods don't work well on Mac and Linux and you have to make manual changes to those mods to get them running on Linux.

While I was making those changes, I had an idea: What if we could work collaborative on mods without the trouble of merging those changes manually and losing them once you accidentally delete the modified mod without saving it... "somewhere".

Out of this situation I hade the idea of setting up a GitLab instance for everything surrounding PZ development.

What is GitLab?

GitLab is similiar to github.com, but hosted on ones own server. You can create git repositories, both public and private, work collaboratively on one repository or fork them, modify them in your copy and request to have changes merged back into the upstream repository.

I think that this would greatly help development.

What is git? What is a repository?

git is a source code management tool. You can use it to keep track of changes to your code, revert back to previous version, branch your code out to test things and merge or discard those changes, work together on the same code and have the changes merged back into one repository.

A repository is - basically - a directory with all the information about all changes of all files.

More information is available at http://git-scm.com/

Would you use it?

That is the question. Would you use a GitLab instance that is specifically set up for PZ?

I support the idea, basically because of two reasons. The first one being that it would without a doubt help mod maintainance. There's a lot of things happening with PZ and keeping track of changes is time consuming for a single mod maintainer. Good mods dies out way too early considering PZs current state and it is very demanding task to keep them all up to date - so I'm suggesting the author should make it easier to help with maintaining.

The other reason is the secrecy I think is common. People working on mods tend to either not share their idea or announcing it too early with a risc of never completing it. Register your mod on the GitLab instance, and you're garanteed be credited for both your idea and the work you've put into creating it - even if other people help you out.

It's not a bad idea. Modders could give permissions to anyone to update their mods on the rep. "Older" mods can be kept up to date that way.

However, good luck managing the git rep ... so many people will make mistakes and end up messing up branches & co :D

It's not a bad idea. Modders could give permissions to anyone to update their mods on the rep. "Older" mods can be kept up to date that way.

However, good luck managing the git rep ... so many people will make mistakes and end up messing up branches & co :D

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Obviously, everyone would be able to manage his/her repositories for themselves, and ultimately be responsible for them, too.

I have now re-configured my existing gitlab instance to be usable as a PZ GitLab. No use in duplicating the config and everything :-)

The address is: http://gitlab.pallas.crash-override.net/ and will be available as soon as the DNS change has propagated. If the IP address points to 172.29.1.3 for you, it's not up-to-date yet :-)

If you want an account, drop me a PM or e-mail with the following information:

- E-Mail address

- Real Name

- (optional) Skype and Twitter handles

I will create a user for you and your initial password will be sent to your e-mail address.

• 1 year later...

Is this being used? Why not just github? If it is still going could I get an account? Planning on getting into modding so searching these forums for something simple to get my head around things.

It's never been in use by the PZ community, really, but it exists and I use it for projects I don't want on github (my website, some unfinished stuff and such).