Crafting other then woods

Yorny1

I really need to find/rebuy that book. IT's the font of all knowledge.

Well, given that PZ is partly based on ZSG.... Its the font of all PZ answers  :P

Still get ready for a dull read.... unless you like technobabble....

The fact that he is talking about a subject I enjoy is irrelevant to the fact that he is just dribbling shit for 260ish pages.... There's no story involved.

Don't get me wrong, that's just my opinion & I know I'm using the the word Technobabble loosely.

I've read it before and loved it, I just don't have a copy around the house anymore.

I like the idea of stripping out materials in cars to supplement what we already have.

• Use metal sheets from cars (read metal in cars, so many parts are plastic now) to reinforce existing structures.  Imagine being able to reinforce a window from the metal bumper of a car or wrapping boards with sheet metal before making a barricade.
  • Being able to chain batteries in cars to a simple rechargeing system (hello stationary bike) and then powering items (fridge, power tools, etc).
  • Canabilazing larger sections of vehicles for larger projects.  I would love to be able to pull a few bed liners from trucks and make a LARGE rain cistern.
  • Taking car tires and filling them with sand to make a reinforced "earthen" wall.  This is what they do to make the "natural" earth homes now.  I would love to put a wall like this infront of existing walls.
  • Filling car tires with earth to make planters.  I do this now to grow potatoes.  Seriously.  You put the potatoes in the earth filled tire and slowly add more earth as the plant grows "up".  When you get 4 or 5 tires high harvest.  How?  Knock the tires over!

While I agree about using cannibalized steel for reinforcing & making basic steel objects (aka. rigging together a couple of pieces of steel & saying.... look, its a "table"  :blink:)

Building complex structures out of steel is more complicated than it looks, even with "fresh" steel, guillotines, rollers, brake presses.

For example, the idea of the rain cistern.... How would you shape the bed liners for assembly? What about rust & other contaminates? What about purging?

Essentially its the same deal as reusing planks used in carpentry builds, trying to recycle steel like that is a lot more hassle than it looks.

I'm not against the idea of using scrap steel.... Just that complex builds should require "fresh" steel from a steel yard. Or at the very least, require maximum fabricating skill

EDIT:

Your basic rule of thumb for fabricating is, get it right the first time.... fold it wrong, cut it wrong, drill it wrong, weld it wrong & your pushing shit uphill trying to get it right. Not to mention something that has already been intentionally folded, cut, drilled, welded

.... Well, that & Keep it Simple Stupid :P

I have to point out that the recycling mod http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2415-recycling/ by Ramibuk & al inplements part of what you want for small objects : recycling objects to get metal scraps and build stuff such as your own handmade axe or metal doorknobs or baits (radio) etc ...

It could be built on top of it (the author gave permission).

On a personal note, I can't see myself using metal to build anything big in a real life situation. Too much noise / heavy machinery to cut it, such as lasers or highly pressured water cuz a saw would get you nowhere (for floors, stairs, and such), and let's not talk about the weight.

But you could add a saw mill and foundry to the game with working machinery (for a few months ?) - or equiped with solar panels (yeah anybody know how to do that :D) - and then you could melt scrap metal (different kinds), give it shape and cut it (and attract all zeds) for bigger constructions. That would be awesome gameplay wise : do I keep my saw or do I visit the saw mill (log driving ? :D) for maximum planks in a short amount of time. (I'd also like to see a zed cut in pieces by a head saw :))

Building complex structures out of steel is more complicated than it looks, even with "fresh" steel, guillotines, rollers, brake presses.

For example, the idea of the rain cistern.... How would you shape the bed liners for assembly? What about rust & other contaminates? What about purging?

I was not talking about steel... just plastic bed liners.  The ones you just drop in.  Put two of those together (with the cab portion facing opposite directions, lay in a couple of garbage bags (or tarps) and seal it with a duct tape.  Reinforce the sides with wood and call it a day.

We have made "red neck" hot tubs in trucks with tarps and duct tape... it cant be that hard :)

As far as actual steel fabricating goes, my skill set is almost nill.  I played with it in Middle School Shop class, learned how to spot weld and actually did spot weld in a pinch while in the Army.  I could repurpose sheet metal to some extent, but it would be UGLY.  I am sure I would make a lot of noise and curse quite a bit, while trying to keep from slicing myself open on jagged, sharp metal.

I was not talking about steel... just plastic bed liners.  The ones you just drop in.  Put two of those together (with the cab portion facing opposite directions, lay in a couple of garbage bags (or tarps) and seal it with a duct tape.  Reinforce the sides with wood and call it a day.

Thought that was what you meant, that would be a great way to store water.

Yeah, my bad.... I miss interpreted what you were saying.

Sheetmetal is one of the worst ones.... after it has been shaped, it pretty much stays there. Fixing dents is one thing, like panelbeating damage to your car, but once a piece of sheet has been rolled or folded your not getting it flat again.