Self-talking

axehunt

Hi. When I was watching another lets play youtube video I noticed that ppl sometimes talk to themselves their feelings, thoughts. I think it would be natural in the reality. Random and not too often text messages above players' head could express some moodlets and actions taking place. It would be just a cosmetic, climate building option, turnable in the options menu, expressing characters thoughts, emotions, shiverings. These phrases could be short and universal like "oh shit, fuck, fuck!", "no, no, not so many!" when got panicked or "another one", "there's another bitch" when noticed a zombie far away. On the other hand, these messages could depend on sets of chosen traits, gender, profession, i.e. women could cry more often, claustrophobic and hypohondriacs could develop other interesting, specific behaviours. The traits' combinations could be interesting. To make it properly, there should be a lot of preset messages. It doesn't require a lot of work but would add a lot to the gameplay. I think that community would help with development of the feature :-) what do you think?

If you noticed this happens sometimes when reading books that are above your skill level, or below even(I think). 

It would be cool to see some of the traits respond like this though. 

Bi-Polar trait - Moody in seasonal change

Schizophrenic - Uncontrollable acts/speech but with a perk (because cmon if they live through the first wave they have to be crazy enough to kick some zombie ass) - Maybe add a perk that gives you less visibility to zombies, but with a higher chance of something being said as if you had to tourette syndrome/ or make that one itself :)

That's a completely naive way to think of things Shadow.

For one thing, it doesn't serve ANY business to offend their customers. For another, a large part of what John means from my inference is that the above completely inaccurate misrepresentation of those conditions is offensive, not that doing it tastefully is completely out of the question.

There's a difference between saying "nearsighted people have trouble seeing" and "nearsighted people come to The Indie Stone forums and post like trolls." One is accurate, one is offensive.

But... Players can already do that. By talking to themselves. My in-game avatar spouting whatever he or she feels isn't necessarily conducive to what I'm feeling, and it'd be nothing more than a minor distraction.

Using it as a perk would be unhelpful, as if it's a positive perk it's an outright waste of points and arbitrarily tacking on a completely unrelated positive element (Such as the aforementioned "less chance to be spotted by zombies" for example) completely blows off the intended realism of the perk system.

On the flip side, making it a negative perk would either be a death sentence on a randomly recalculated timer or free points for a perk that is actually useful. In either or both of these cases, you'll simply have people who always take it for the positive points to spend elsewhere or you'll have people who never take it because they don't want to randomly alert entire hordes at complete random.

Have you ever heard of the term Strategic Dominance? This perk would simply play into that theory.