Can anyone help me with this FPS issue?

Wh00pAss

Question

Hi,

I've been playing PZ on and off for a while now (over 350+ hours over many years) and I'm having some FPS issues where the game can suddenly drop to 1/5th of my expected FPS for no apparent reason, this makes it almost impossible to play when there's a horde after me or when I'm driving around I just end up having to drive almost fully zoomed in which makes it much less fun and harder to see. I'm currently running IMBUMS 41 and have been using a few mods but I've tested this in fresh downloads with a totally clean C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid folder and C:\Users\<username>\Zomboid folder wtih the same results.

It seems that if I see certain zombies at certain zoom levels the FPS just tanks until I zoom all the way in, wait a few seconds then zoom out again, the zombie can just be off the screen and if I pan with aim or zoom out just one level to include the zombie the FPS can drop from my expected 240+ to 40+ for just one zombie. When I have 100 FPS due to lots of zombies I can end up on 20 FPS which makes it really difficult to stay alive. This gets even worse when I try to play in 4k as I can end up at around 12 FPS at certain zooms.

Here's a simple video of the problem, this is on a fresh install of the game (at the deafult resolution it starts in, the only setting I have changed if the FPS limiter in game) with all Zomboid folders cleaned out (game and settings mentioned above) and no mods. Note the FPS in the top left dropping as soon as the zombie comes on the screen, and note it doesn't drop at the same zoom level if I look away from the zombie.

https://youtu.be/8gXR06kEQuY

I'd love it if I could play the game as it was intended as this is crushing my love of the game. I'm able to provide logs, videos, screenshots or whatever is needed to help devs/helpers get to the bottom of this and I look forward to getting back to smacking some Z's.

My system specs are:

Windows 10 Pro version 20H2

Intel i9-9900X

Nvidia Titan Xp (driver 461.92, latest)

64GB ram

Samsung 960 Pro 2TB ssd with plenty of space left

Thanks in advance,

W

pz1.png

pz2.png

pz3.png

8 answers to this question

I went through every possible setting and I noted the FPS both zoomed all the way in and all the way out (175%).

I found no improvement with any individual setting change. I did notice that there was a brief improvement of FPS when enabling VSync, Borderless Windows, and changing the sky settings to “high” instead of medium (which seemed counterintuitive). However, the improvements were temporary (less than a minute) and the FPS went back to what they were before the change. 

My CPU never passed 36% utilization, RAM never exceeded 40% and my GPU never passed 33%. 

So its not an issue with my hardware reaching its limits, but something else is limiting the FPS. 

i5-9600k

Nvidia Titan XP

32gb RAM

Windows 10

I hate to say it, but I really have no idea why that would be the case (at least in terms of settings)z You’re getting much worse performance and I get with my 980 TI/4670k Windows pc or even with the mobile gpu (radeon 560 pro?) in my iMac. :/

Maybe someone else has an idea?

I too am having the same issue. I shared some screens showing my FPS zoomed in and zoomed out. 

To me it seems to have something to do with LOS rendering. When a lot of black/gray area needs to be rendered it seems to create the issue. Zooming in largely eliminates the black/gray areas and seems to fix the issue. 

I have played around with locking the FPS, UI FPS, and lighting updates as well as disabling a number of the zoom distances. 

Windows 10

i5-9600k

32gb RAM

Nvidia Titan XP

20210426201650_1.jpg

20210426201641_1.jpg

20210426201444_1.jpg

20210426201430_1.jpg

Hello, good morning, first I'm sorry for any English error, it's not my language, I'm experiencing the same problem, I play at 200 fps and out of nowhere it drops to 15-20, I believe it's the bad optimization that occurs in this build 41, I'm not sure, but I think we should wait until something that improves performance is published.

I dont know what the problem is like others but you can try this and see if this indie game will run better on your super computer

1_ lock your fps at something reasonable (like 60)

2_ lock the zoom level on something comfortable

3_ put the detailed clothing texture on player only

4_ turn off enviromental reflections and wind sprite effects

5_ turn down puddle quality

6_ enable texture compression

you can also try running it in windowed mode i dont know why but people say it helps

Lastly tell me what happens

I have the same exact issue. I also have a pretty high-end graphics card, the NVIDIA Titan RTX.

No idea why the FPS drops to 10 when I zoom out all the way when the game is rendering mostly sprites. My Macbook Pro can run the game at 60 FPS when zoomed all the way out.

Archived