The Axe

Bird-man

I'v bought Project Zomboid threw Steam and i can't stop playing it...(b/c i keep dieing and starting over) lol. So i'v found a house to make my safe house... Now i need to start getting planks and etc.. My Q is where is the AX located/spawn's? i'm in need of it so i can chop tree's down that's near my house to make fence's and etc... If anyone can help i will be thankful!

EWWWW NOOOOOO!!!!! lol! i don't like 2 word's in your reply! "quite rare!"  i'm in a gaming community and i'm telling everyone about this game.. i'm hoping they test and like it and buy b/c i can't wait for multi player me and my buddy are getting our Batting cage practice in! bahaha! 

AWESOME!!!!! so this actually kinda answer's my Q's i'v been talking to 1 of my buddies who also has the game and we'v talked about why there isn't a In-game MAP? Press Tab then click (mouse 1) to active the mouse and have a couple of option's where you can place O's over building's? or X's over building you'v already been and searched threw.. It's a thought but maybe something that the game developer's could or can look into adding? i dunno how hard it would to add like a over lay-map the link you provided me with? just see threw and can interact with in-game.

AWESOME!!!!! so this actually kinda answer's my Q's i'v been talking to 1 of my buddies who also has the game and we'v talked about why there isn't a In-game MAP? Press Tab then click (mouse 1) to active the mouse and have a couple of option's where you can place O's over building's? or X's over building you'v already been and searched threw.. It's a thought but maybe something that the game developer's could or can look into adding? i dunno how hard it would to add like a over lay-map the link you provided me with? just see threw and can interact with in-game.

You could give this one a shot if you haven't already: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

;)

So, just to be clear your linking me the same map and not answering my Q/idea for the game? the map-link is awesome..but if i didn't have dual screen i would have to stop playing pause my game and bring it up.. i'd rather press Tap and be able to inter-act with it.. Unless you guy's are going to be add/removing building's and etc. then i can see why over-lay map = bad idea at this point in time. BUT for future idea's i would like to see a poll for people that would like to have in-game map where they can see where they are and see what house's they'v searched threw. 

You could give this one a shot if you haven't already: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

;)

^^^^  Sorry not a valid answer to my Q/idea.. Sorry but i really want this game to make it!!

So, just to be clear your linking me the same map and not answering my Q/idea for the game? the map-link is awesome..but if i didn't have dual screen i would have to stop playing pause my game and bring it up.. i'd rather press Tap and be able to inter-act with it.. Unless you guy's are going to be add/removing building's and etc. then i can see why over-lay map = bad idea at this point in time. BUT for future idea's i would like to see a poll for people that would like to have in-game map where they can see where they are and see what house's they'v searched threw. 

;)

^^^^  Sorry not a valid answer to my Q/idea.. Sorry but i really want this game to make it!!

*facepalm*

Completely missed kirrus post, my bad. :???:

The map is something that is planned as you can see in this thread: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

If you want something before the devs implement it though you could go check out what the modders are working on or if they are willing to work on anything. I imagine the map the devs will give though will not be as in depth as what blindcoder has been working on, but it'll be a map in game none the less.

Edit: There actually used to be a map just liked you described that was made by AdricTheGreat allowing you to put markers and such but AFAIK that went by the wayside when he disappeared from the community.

The web map is really good. I don't mind that I have to alt+tab to look at it. Glad to hear a map is planned but I doubt any in-game map will beat the one on the webpage. Keep in mind that the game is still unfinished and this is early access.

On the topic of axes, I found three in the large warehouse, along with two shotguns. Loot is randomized so just keep looking. Check your zombie kills for items, sometimes they drop good stuff.

It's worth noting there will never be an in-game "minimap" type thing. The only maps there will be are items that you find, which you'll actually have to open and look at. They also won't have "You are here" markers on them- you'll have to figure it out yourself. Just thought I'd pop by and clarify XD

You can chop trees down without the axe, it just takes a bit longer.

For a while I was using a baseball bat to chop trees. It usually took 12-15 swings to bring the tree down though (quick if you increase the game speed to 2x while you chop)

At least that will help until you do find the axe :)

It's worth noting there will never be an in-game "minimap" type thing. The only maps there will be are items that you find, which you'll actually have to open and look at. They also won't have "You are here" markers on them- you'll have to figure it out yourself. Just thought I'd pop by and clarify XD

lol! i wasn't planning on the whole " You'r Here" point.. or another good idea!

To get rid of Bordem  You could be able to draw a map on sheet? or have a Welcome center and you can pick a mini map as a item that you can carry around? at gas n go's?? i know but i just have idea's but i think i should be posting in the dev section my bad.. >___>

Do we know if we'll be able to write or draw on the in-game maps? Like circle a location and tag it, for future reference

Do we know if we'll be able to write or draw on the in-game maps? Like circle a location and tag it, for future reference

We're not sure how viable it will be, but it's definitely something they want to do.

Where to find an axe (spoilery).

(i.e. the exact numbers & locations in the files)

Short answer, axes may be found in 4 basic places:

male zombies,

crates not in a special location (i.e. NOT in the grocery, bookstore, garages/sheds, etc...

try warehouses, houses, lumber yard, and a few outside)

tool store - counters & shelves

gun store - counters &  lockers, and any containers in the gun store storage.

And that's it.  Nothing else.

How do I think I know that?

Long answer: :)

First, all loot distribution is done by one file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\Items\SuburbsDistributions.lua

And any changes to the file (by patches, or even by you) will apply to any containers not yet "set".

A container is "set" when you are standing next to it, as you "could" look in it.  It IS set even if you don't look.  Until you stand next to it, it is "unset" and will randomly generate from that file later. 

So patches adding new stuff (like the new glue/screws/box-o-nails/etc. this patch) can't affect containers you've looked in, or containers you've stood so close to that you could have looked in.

But containers you've not opened yet; they will potentially have new stuff...

anyhow, that's basically how it works... your specific question was... AXES.

The data we'll be looking for is:

"Base.Axe"

That's an axe... and there'll be a # after it.

That number is (so far as I can tell) a base %.  From looking at the item picker; two things will change this (both for the better). 

1) loot distribution settings (like the sandbox setting)... so I think "normal" loot is double this but I'm not 100% sure, but this should be the "rare" loot #.

2) zombie "density"... which I don't understand except the core concept.  Areas with more zombies have more loot.  They want to encourage you to go places with lots of zombies so you die... because they're evil (or that's more fun as a game; I'm not 100% sure).

Then you'll want to scroll up and see what type of container, then scroll up and see if your container is in a specific location.  For example shelves in the grocery store don't have the same contents as shelves in the bookstore... even if they're identical shelves.

And the third thing to look a... "rolls = #" on the container. 

You may get multiple rolls to get an item... not positive how this works (except more rolls = better obviously).

So for axes:

all ={inventorymale = {rolls = 1,"Base.Axe", 0.1,

A male zombie, anywhere, dead (as a container) has a very slight chance of having an axe.
** I condensed several lines to that line; because... why not?
** Note, female zombies can't have an axe.. sexist *******'s

all ={crate = {rolls = 1,"Base.Axe", 0.8,
        Crates in non-special places (houses, warehouses, or outside mostly; NOT in grocery stores, or even garages/sheds) have a small chance..

toolstore ={shelves ={rolls = 5,"Base.Axe", 7,
    toolstore ={counter ={rolls = 2,"Base.Axe", 7,
        Don't ask me to tell you what/where a "toolstore" is (I'm not sure what building(s) count as this); but much better chances, and with the extra rolls... much MUCH better chances per container; of course when you have 40-50 crates in the lumber yard; that helps balance the odds.

gunstore = {counter ={rolls = 3,"Base.Axe", 3,
    gunstore = {locker ={rolls = 3,"Base.Axe", 3,

gunstorestorage ={all={rolls = 3,"Base.Axe", 3,
        Interesting, small but not horrible chance of finding an axe in the gun store.

... And that appears to be it.  No more axes in the file; so any axes found will be in one of the above container/location settings (currently).

Yes, you could modify this file (and change the drop rates); but the current locations/rates in the vanilla file without tweaking is what I've posted above.

Archived