Base defenses and traps.

Stockjunkee84

Barbed Wire is actually already in the game, but it doesn't actually scratch anyone like it should. I think they probably plan to make that work someday, or else it wouldn't be there still. There are also lots of traps like the smoke bomb, fire bomb, and pipe bomb that can all have sensors and timers added. That being said, while I do think the bombs should remain the most effective defense locked behind Engineer, I feel like there's a lot of room for more basic traps that anyone can make.

- Propane tanks should be placeable so they can be shot and blown up. Maybe this could be made into a trap with advanced skills, but that alone would be very useful.

- Wooden spike traps should be easy to make with some kind of knife/saw and logs. These could range from defensive spikes in front of walls, to pit traps you could dig with a shovel. High enough metalworking, and survivors could even make metal spikes.

- Caltrops could be an AMAZING to fuck up people's tires, boots, and to turn zeds into crawlers. Should be easy to make from nails, but hopefully Smithing will add a better alternative one day. These could be placed, but would be more fun as a throwable.

- Nails, sharpened stones, or sharpened sticks should be able to be added to some planks to make a spiked floorboards. This could be like a permanent version of the caltrops, and could be repaired over time.

- Bear Traps could come with the B42 Animal Update, and could be multiuse for Trapping and Defense. I think these would be rare and not craftable, however.

- Extracting razor blades from extra razors should allow survivors to upgrade Barbed Wire to Razor Fences, this would result in Laceration chances rather than Scratch.

- Gravel bags are pretty cool, but maybe we could also use different kinds of bags to make walls with varying levels of bullet stopping power. Sandbags could be the most effective, then gravel, dirt, and compost. Being able to stack these walls higher to make them full walls would be nice too.

- There should be a wide variety of sound traps. These could range from tin cans on a wire hung from the ceiling, to motion sensor alarm clocks, all the way to police sirens attached to the top of a wooden pole. This would be functional in both distracting zekes, and alerting your base of unwanted visitors.

There are also a few more that should be included in the Engineer profession:

- Landmines could be made with 3 pipe bombs and some kind of pressure sensor like a scale. They would need a shovel/spade to be buried, but would be unseen by anyone. Alternatively, they could be found at some Military facility.

- Cars should be totally destructible, and survivors should be able to rig up some kind of car bomb. Imagine using a police siren to draw 200 zombies near and then BOOM there's 0.

- This may be a longshot, but maybe some kind of gun trigger door trap could be really badass. If you've ever seen the Saw movies, you know what I'm talking about.

- Gas bombs would be an awesome addition, but would probably require implementation of a health condition (and maybe even a whole Chemistry skill). Mustard gas doesn't bite you lol.

I'm sure there's plenty of amazing traps and defenses they could think of, but these are just a few that build off what's already in the game. Most things aren't fully implemented either (like the Gravelbag Wall and Barbed Fence), so I'm sure they will get around to it eventually. If I had to guess I would say this will be a Build 44 kind of thing, added alongside persistent NPCs and the ability to form a group. Base management will need a huge overhaul during that update so I'm sure construction, defense, and maintenance will all become very important when there are potentially dozens of people all living in one place.

Agreed, maybe add something like wooden offensives like those trench stakes where it can stab zeds but it only has a limit and can break after a few uses or hits. By far the game uses barbed wires but I don't think it works? plus barbed wires are kinda not easy to find and it takes alot of them to completely cover your base, 1 barbed wire = 1 block so good luck.

5 hours ago, BentNose said:

There are also the really simple alternatives, pits and spiked barricades. Pits, all you need is a shovel. Spiked barricades you just need some ripped cloth and spears or logs.

Didn't even think about using spears instead of logs. That's so true that we should be able to just mount spears onto different things for protection.