Farming - Renovated

Skallagrim

Credits go to Robert Johnson for the original code and to Thuztor for the textures.

Description:

FarmingNOI looks 100% the same as the original by Robert Johnson, but with hopefully fewer glitches, the main focus of this Mod.

Little differences are farming xp for plowing, and planting tomato requires sticks and plowing removes common grasses and bushes.

A recipe for a makeshift sickle offers the ability to create a tool able to remove long grass, flowers and some bushes.

A little gardening (high resolution)

Requirements:

This mod is made for 2.9.9.17 and it will not work in previous versions.

Background:

Since I choose „my way to die“ to be "old age", farming became a necessity.

But certain glitches made this a little annoying. Glitches like invisible plantings, plantings but no way to interact with it by right click, two farming plots on one square, some plantings growing rapidly even thought they should be drowning (radish).

I started looking for causes in the farming code and ended up reorganizing it to have a better overview. The mod here is the result of this.

Download: Version (0.1.5)

FarmingNOI.zip

Install:

Installing a mod , thanks RoboMat

Important:

Backup your save game before using this mod!

Original plantings will be converted to a new saving and loading system and will not be recognized if the mod is deactivated/removed.

If something goes really wrong, your save game could become broken. Backup your save game!

Unnoticeable changes:

Using rain barrels as prototype code, the saving of plantings has been altered, same goes for the way textures are handled.

Lot's of other small things.

Known issues:

- Mildew/flies cure spray may not work (sometimes) after exiting and returning to a game, if used at leased once before.(untested in > .17 0011)

Hope it all still works, did a not that minor change yesterday.

The good thing about fixing all the bugs I introduce is that I understand more and more how things work together.

PS: If I manage to photoshop the roof on the house I will think about it, thanks.

PS: If I manage to photoshop the roof on the house I will think about it, thanks.

Do it ... even without the roof it is the best PZ screenshot I have seen so far ;)

Thanks, but there were one or two nice fortresses among them.

I did not get the lighting right for the roofing, but I know now why the roof is missing.

The floortiles I build to keep zombie hords from spawning inside my yard makes the game think I am inside.

But now my catwalk to the back entrance is also visible, got to give it some fence first, hope I still got enough nails left. And I got to find a way to remove the high grass when plowing a square.

New Version 0.1.2 out.

Found out one of the differences between objects and spezialobjects in squares, you can shoot and damage/destroy spezialobjects. In the new version plantings will now only succumb to the shovel as intended.

Also, the weed on the ground is now removed when plowing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jumped a number, did some experiments. Nothing you will notice if I did it right (fingers crossed).

Should now work with .17 0008 and later. Have trouble with the lua loader ignoring my "require" lines, files are wrongly beeing loaded alphabetically (for me that is).
Now I changed folder and file names for the loading in the proper order, which is not nice, but it works for now.

I added a new tool, the "Makeshift Sickle", it can cut long grass. I found it annoying to lie down floor tiles and have the grass still hang out. Now you can cut the grass first and then make the floor.
Also you can cut the grass around your garden to make it look more orderly.
To make this tool you need a string, a stick (from planks) and a kitchen knife.
Strings can be made from yoyos or shoes (laces).

recipe Craft Makeshift Sickle{  KitchenKnife,  Belt/String/Wire,  WoodenStick/Poolcue,  Result:makeshift_sickle,  Time:200.0,}

Jumped a number, did some experiments. Nothing you will notice if I did it right (fingers crossed).

Should now work with .17 0008 and later. Have trouble with the lua loader ignoring my "require" lines, files are wrongly beeing loaded alphabetically (for me that it).

Now I changed folder and file names for the loading in the proper order, which is not nice, but it works for now.

I added a new tool, the "Makeshift Sickle", it can cut long grass. I found it annoying to lie down floor tiles and have the grass still hang out. Now you can cut the grass first and then make the floor.

Also you can cut the grass around your garden to make it look more orderly.

To make this tool you need a string, a stick (from planks) and a kitchen knife.

Strings can be made from yoyos or shoes (laces).

Sounds awesome!

Thanks.

Just tried it with Debian, "require" lines are still ignored and files were NOT loaded alphabetically.
Which means the mod only works with Windows (7?) at the moment :(

Maybe I just put all lua code into one huge file :mad:

I had hoped to add a converter from original farming plots yesterday, but my trusty laptod died on me after nearly 5 years hard labor.

It does not look good, but I have not given up on it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

0.1.5 is out.

I could not wait until the modloader is fixed. Now all the critical files are crammed into one file. This should solve the issue loading files in the wrong order for the moment. It should also work now independent of OS.

An important change I did is that planting from the original farming are now converted to the way this mod handles them. You will no longer lose your original farm using this mod.

This has also the nice effect that it fixes invisible plantings that you can still right click, but not see!

Sadly, plantings from the original farming that you can see but you can no longer right click are likely lost. But it is still worth giving the mod a try saving the planting

Newly converted plants will keep their growing state, but the next grow time will be reset. Keep that in mind.

If original planting are available, a window will pop up at the beginning and tell you the status of the conversion of planting. In case not all plantings got converted right at the start, try moving closer to your farm.

If there is nothing to convert, there should be no window at game start.

Let me know if something goes wrong / does not work.

Cheers,

Skallagrim

PS: I have the plan to add "growing trees" to the next version, I hope it will work out.

And if it turns out easy to add textures, I might write how to easily add things yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Cutting grass don't seem to work, i made a makeshift sickle but the grass is still there even after the click and durationbar is done. 

Other then that everything worked great! All my old plants got fixed, you deserve much love for that!

Found out how to fix it, i was just using it wrong. It's left click after using right click my bad. This mod is 10/10!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if this mod would be updated for the latest patch?

As it is if the mod is in action you can't farm at all. You also can't remove grass atm.

I found a somewhat fix tho. Remove the farm stuff but keep the Sickle scrips and icon. This will allow you to farm until theres a fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I won't advise to use farming renovated as such, the farming code had some tweaks that have not been updated within this mod.

You should compare all constants before even looking at the code. (I know for a fact that the growth delay if not watered is not 100 hours or 50 anymore but 30, so that's already a big change). Farming bugs in the original game code were solved with the help of this mod and its author if i'm not mistaken.

Kookikaykitti is right, I'm having the same issue and it's confusing as I've already mapped out where I want my cabbage. :< I'm gonna do a Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate factory.. CABBAGES FOR ALL.. And then on another file I'm pretending I'm Irish, so a mass producer of potatoes.

I made the makeshift sickle and i can't figure out how to cut the grass. I keep right clicking on the long grass and no option comes up.

Kookikaykitti is right, I'm having the same issue and it's confusing as I've already mapped out where I want my cabbage. :< I'm gonna do a Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate factory.. CABBAGES FOR ALL.. And then on another file I'm pretending I'm Irish, so a mass producer of potatoes.

You both should've read this:

I won't advise to use farming renovated as such, the farming code had some tweaks that have not been updated within this mod.

You should compare all constants before even looking at the code. (I know for a fact that the growth delay if not watered is not 100 hours or 50 anymore but 30, so that's already a big change). Farming bugs in the original game code were solved with the help of this mod and its author if i'm not mistaken.

Excellent mod by the way.  Just a quick question, do I have to create new sticks for each tomato vine or can I use existing once harvested as currently I need to create new sticks each time.

• 1 month later...

Was enjoying features, especially the grass cutting.

Yet, I was frustrated to harvest only 1 tomato and 2 seeds from my devoted effort.

It took 4 seeds and 4 study sticks to plant 1 field of tomato and this is how mod repays me?

Checked out the code and found out that this value was not a bug, but intended maybe?

Looked at other vegetables and others are greatly balanced, but only harsh for tomatoes.

Also it would be nice to get 4 sticks back when harvesting it - and it makes sense I think.

Two more things; pest-fly cure and fertilization doesn't seem to function properly.

I don't know if this is only me, but the fertilizer doesn't show any right-click menus or functions.

I wonder if these two share some similarity.

Mildew cure works fine for me though.

PS : Broccoli grants seeds even in phase 6 as if they are seed-baring. Kinda beneficial glitch I think, just thought you might wanted to know.