Zombie Pathing Issues

ZombieHunter

Capture.JPG.c48dd686a726d7c5e0127dc3902bf41a.JPG

This was from Archers Stream a few days ago.

While he is shouting and screaming the Zombies already knew the perfect path to reach him was through the window and out the other.

This is, of course, a gameplay complex issue.

On the one hand, it's not realistic for zombies to have such an advanced pathing logic.

On the other hand, a player standing there would have no threat.

In this situation, I think the best option would be water slamming against a wall. 

So instead of every zombie going for the window. They each try to find their own "solution" to the problem.

They draw a line to the player and hit the fence obstruction.

Now they spend a few seconds trying to yell and scream at the player then split up and bounce to other directions randomly.

So 1 - 2 may go for the window

1-2 may head back the way the came

1 - 2 may try go around in the other direction

1 - 2 may stand and keep following the player around the fence. 

That'd be overly costly to do for an edge-case like this -- one that is decidedly thrilling to be part of when playing the game even if it may "look" a bit weird or twig your suspension of disbelief a little.  While I'd personally like to have more of a siege mechanic myself, where zombies surround or stack against one area it's not as or as fun as it might sound when writing one of these threads.

As I said in prior discussions, we're not aiming to make the zombies as stupid as you want. Let's stop doing these threads, please. It's getting tiring.

Not sure this is an edge case, since it plays out in more ways than one (literally any time there is a fence or different planes involved).

It IS weird that zeds always know exactly how to get you, even when that involves navigating multiple doors, corridors, and staiwells. That's not just "stupid" zeds, that's omniscience.

Not to tell devs what their priorities are, but let's at least agree that it's weird and recurring throughout the game. I take umbrage at "edge case" sir, haha.

26 minutes ago, trombonaught said:

Not sure this is an edge case, since it plays out in more ways than one (literally any time there is a fence or different planes involved).

It IS weird that zeds always know exactly how to get you, even when that involves navigating multiple doors, corridors, and staiwells. That's not just "stupid" zeds, that's omniscience.

Not to tell devs what their priorities are, but let's at least agree that it's weird and recurring throughout the game. I take umbrage at "edge case" sir, haha.

You're welcome to take issue with it. I think it's weird, too, but it's not really a bug. It's just one of those slightly annoying things that looks a bit weird if you "really think on it." Most people will never notice or only care briefly.

Even if we were to fix it in the way he said yes, it would just break in other ways that would be even more annoying (it's not like it's new or that we haven't tried other things). It's one of those "as good as its going to get" things that balances some degree of realism of what's possible with A* pathfinding on a grid that has to take into account not just the edges of the tiles, but the fact that the grid is streamed in in real time as a character moves. It ain't simple to uproot that. Why would we intentionally ruin something that's fun, anyway? :p

I can certainly tell you though it's not going to happen just because OP keeps asserting zombies are too smart and we have to fix it simply because it doesn't match his headcanon. Multiple threads, albeit with slight variations on the same theme, aren't going to increase the chances either.

3 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You're welcome to take issue with it. I think it's weird to, but it's not really a bug. It's just one of those slightly annoying things that looks a bit weird if you "really think on it." Most people will never notice or only care briefly.

Even if we were to fix it in the way he said yes, it would just break in other ways that would be even more annoying. It's one of those "as good as its going to get" things that balances some degree of realism of what's possible with A* pathfinding on a grid that has to take into account not just the edges of the tiles, but the fact that the grid is streamed in in real time as a character moves. It ain't simple to uproot that :p

I can certainly tell you though it's not going to happen just because OP keeps asserting zombies are too smart and we have to fix it simply because it doesn't match his headcanon. Multiple threads, albeit with slight variations on the same theme, aren't going to increase the chances either.

It is an opinion piece - whether or not changes happen doesn't matter.

But it does create discussion on how to solve an issue by having a discussion in the first place, instead of just accepting defeat.

( Keeping in mind trying changes and simply discussing possible solutions is two separate things all together - there is no harm in a discussion after all )

While it is true multiple zombies tracking paths will be resource-intensive, that is only if every zombie path actually needs to be tracked.  

Because it uses a grid mechanic Ai cheats can be implemented - instead of Ai each trying to calculate their own path. Having Pre-set paths already planned on response. 

Since all the Ai are running on a single Path at that point. 

It means the game is quite possibly over-ridding the pathing logic of each individual zed and telling them where to move and having the of the system handle the movement.

Same logic could be implemented, the Path calculated treats the Ai Zombie Blob as a projectile. 

Takes the point between Zed and Player

Draws a line until it hits the obstruction unpathable obstruction and draws multiple path points for zombies to walk.

Some of those points can be off-screen and Ai unloaded at that point. The rest break into 2 - 3 smaller groups and then make another attempt to reach the player 

Archived