What's the use of wooden pillar?

Brax

hi,

i was wondering how to use the wooden pillar.

It looks like you need it as a support for elevated structures. For example building a great area of wooden floor on an elevated story of a building.

But my question is: What if i don't use it? will the elevated structure collapse at a certain point? If i start building a sort of a bridge from the second floor of a house to connect the second floor of another house. I make the bridge like 50 squares long. Will the bridge collapse when reaching a certain length without pillars?

The use is purely aesthetic, as far as I know. You can use it as a support beam, or to fill in the missing corner when a EW wall meets a NS wall at the SE corner, or to polish any walls that end abruptly and their transparency is showing.

EDIT: In the current build, there is yet to be any "collapsing" mechanic. Build sky bridges to your heart's content.

I thought there were two reasons:

1. I don't know if it's possible anymore, but zombies used to be able to get into your safe area through the corners where two crafted walls came together. It was a pathing issue.
  2. Also, it prevents zombies from spawning in a 'safe area'. If there is no wooden pillar, the engine will not consider the area sealed because there is still 'walk path' access to the area.

These may not be the case anymore though. 

The use of them is to patch up wall corners.

Not sure what I mean? Build a wall from east-to-west and a wall going north-south, making a corner with it. There will be a very noticeable gap between the walls despite them being building in a corner. Well, that is what it's for primarily. 

Archived