Erosion.ini explained and how to manage erosion ?

argenex

I would like some help understanding the settings better for Erosion; I have it set to it's lowest setting on our server and still forests magically sprout up in empty fields within a few days time.

Questions:

1. We have it set to 500 days... what exactly does that mean? We are seeing whole forests magically appear in a weeks time in an otherwise utterly empty field.
  2. Whenever we set about removing vines from a building/fence, in a few minutes they magically pop back into existence; you then have the option to remove them again, yet they stay there forever and ever. Is this a new Bug?
  3. Mostly the biggest issue is the trees; a sapling will appear in the middle of nowhere, and grow into a full bore tree in a few days time. Last I checked it takes years for a tree to do this.
  4. Is there a way at all currently to just utterly disable the thing? It needs more work from our point of view and just creates a nuisance without adding any real flavor (because trees are just as prolific as the zombies, we've started calling it Project Treezoid.)
  5. Does erosion include precipitation and temperature? Seems to via the ini file. (meaning, the actual temperature and rainfall that occurs in the game, that affects players and rain frequency)
  6. Why does the server need to rewrite the erosion.ini file every other minute? (instead of just loading it when the server starts)
  7. Can we please have the formula for how the math is calculating whatever the numbers mean in the erosion.ini file?

Also, the erosion.ini file; what do the settings mean in there?

seeds.seedMain_0 = 16
seeds.seedMain_1 = 32
seeds.seedMain_2 = 64
seeds.seedMoisture_0 = 96
seeds.seedMoisture_1 = 128
seeds.seedMoisture_2 = 144
seeds.seedMinerals_0 = 196
seeds.seedMinerals_1 = 255
seeds.seedMinerals_2 = 0
seeds.seedKudzu_0 = 200
seeds.seedKudzu_1 = 125
seeds.seedKudzu_2 = 50

time.tickunit = 144
time.ticks = 120
time.eticks = 82
time.epoch = 1

season.lat = 38
season.tempMax = 25
season.tempMin = 0
season.tempDiff = 7
season.seasonLag = 31
season.noon = 12.5
season.seedA = 64
season.seedB = 128
season.seedC = 255
season.jan = 0.39
season.feb = 0.35
season.mar = 0.39
season.apr = 0.4
season.may = 0.35
season.jun = 0.37
season.jul = 0.29
season.aug = 0.26
season.sep = 0.23
season.oct = 0.23
season.nov = 0.3
season.dec = 0.32

debug.enabled = false
debug.startday = 26
debug.startmonth = 11

a few maybes;

season.jan = 0.39 --Maybe this means precipitation?

seeds.seedKudzu_0 = 200 --Maybe this is supposed to be the wall vines?

seeds.seedMinerals_0 = 196 --No idea what this might be.

Essentially we would like a bit more control because it just currently is adding a large negative to our gameplay; -80 fun.

Thanks.

Edited by argenex

The ini file is just for saving information, not customization of the erosion system.

Don't know what would happen if you altered it, as you have, but I suspect the bugs you're now encountering are probably because of those changes.

7 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The ini file is just for saving information, not customization of the erosion system.

Don't know what would happen if you altered it, as you have, but I suspect the bugs you're now encountering are probably because of those changes.

I haven't altered it.

The change I made, was in the sandboxVar file (weeks ago);

ErosionSpeed = 5,

So I guess then the only customization currently is the speed?

Obviously 500 days isn't long enough.

Edited by argenex

It looks like you started with Erosion set to 100 days, that's what's in the erosion.ini file.  Changing the Sandbox setting afterwards didn't affect anything.  To slow down new growth, set time.tickunit = 10000 or some large number, and set time.eticks = 0.

time.ticks goes up once every 10 game-world minutes.  When time.ticks == time.tickunit, time.eticks goes up by 1.  So with time.ticks=144, it takes 144 * 10 / 60 = 24 hours for time.eticks to go up by 1.  After 100 days, time.eticks=100, which is the 100 days Sandbox setting.  For the 500 days setting, time.tickunit=144*5=720.

New stuff spawns after time.eticks goes past a random "spawn time" which is calculated one time only, when a part of the map is first loaded.  The spawn time is somewhere between 0-100.

The wall vines coming back and trees growing quickly both sound like bugs.

1 hour ago, EasyPickins said:

It looks like you started with Erosion set to 100 days, that's what's in the erosion.ini file.  Changing the Sandbox setting afterwards didn't affect anything.  To slow down new growth, set time.tickunit = 10000 or some large number, and set time.eticks = 0.

time.ticks goes up once every 10 game-world minutes.  When time.ticks == time.tickunit, time.eticks goes up by 1.  So with time.ticks=144, it takes 144 * 10 / 60 = 24 hours for time.eticks to go up by 1.  After 100 days, time.eticks=100, which is the 100 days Sandbox setting.  For the 500 days setting, time.tickunit=144*5=720.

New stuff spawns after time.eticks goes past a random "spawn time" which is calculated one time only, when a part of the map is first loaded.  The spawn time is somewhere between 0-100.

The wall vines coming back and trees growing quickly both sound like bugs.

Is there any way to remove the erosion cap?