Varying zombie traits -- New skill -- NPC behavior idea

AlexB

Varying Zombie Traits

Basically where different traits are either activated by a % of spawn rate or "types" of zombies as in "freshly turned, regular, and old/decayed".

---Also note, that this could be controlled by options or difficulties/other mechanics. Doesn't have to be completely game-altering.

Some could sprint while others quickly shamble, shamble normal, or shamble slow (or simply fall over like they're mentally handicapped and crawl or struggle to get back up :D )

Some could also have varying levels of hearing/sight/smell/strength/health depending on either chance or 'realistic' circumstances. Such as the state of decay they've reached or even THEIR inventory. That is, the professional zombies in the new update might be bogged down with gear and move slower, or the ones from the universities might have a bag with books in it... just a thought (watch out for the fresh/naked ones I guess :P )

New Skill - Parkour

Not anything super crazy, but maybe the ability to safely land a roll out of a second floor (if skill is leveled, or if perk gained from profession).
Able to jump tall fences unless barbed or whatever.

Able to climb in and out of windows, over counters, over small fences quicker (and maybe retain some momentum)

Able to climb up walls for 1 story, flat-roofed buildings and get on to the roof.

Could be balanced with % chance to trip, injure yourself, quicker stamina drain, etc. depending on skill level or even just always.
Rain could also effect this (higher chance to slip and fall - could be fatal/debilitating if the drop is large enough)

NPC Behavior

This one is a random thought I had -- have some hostile NPCs attack you intelligently. Such as once they know where you're staying, to stalk you a bit and when you're inside they may throw a noise maker in there to flood you out and potentially be somewhere waiting for you.

Random ideas, lemme know what you guys think :D 

Edited by AlexB

I like the idea of a parkour skill but it'd be a massive advantage if you could safety roll from the second floor. Guides on the game always tell you to take sheet rope with you if you're looting the second floors of buildings so the parkour skill would complete remove the need to craft any.

As for jumping over fences/tall fences, I think it's being planned. There was this mondoid post http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/03/re-animator/ and it shows some of the new animations, including jumping over fences. 

+1 Parkour skill. I'm on leg, thigh, foot, shin, toe, knee, ankle break # 47 -- But I'm cool with just the no breaking your leg part of it. I break my leg so much, sometimes I break the same break on my break. So i don't even need to split it. I consider those good days. 

14 minutes ago, Slice985 said:

+1 Parkour skill. I'm on leg, thigh, foot, shin, toe, knee, ankle break # 47 -- But I'm cool with just the no breaking your leg part of it. I break my leg so much, sometimes I break the same break on my break. So i don't even need to split it. I consider those good days. 

This is what I listen to when I play Zomboid

It starts with one thing, I don't know why
It doesn't even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind I designed this rhyme to explain in due time
(All I know)
Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
(It's so unreal)
Didn't look out below, watched the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on, didn't even know

It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

Edited by Slice985

9 hours ago, Uphox said:

I like the idea of a parkour skill but it'd be a massive advantage if you could safety roll from the second floor. Guides on the game always tell you to take sheet rope with you if you're looting the second floors of buildings so the parkour skill would complete remove the need to craft any.

As for jumping over fences/tall fences, I think it's being planned. There was this mondoid post http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/03/re-animator/ and it shows some of the new animations, including jumping over fences. 

I don't think it would be much of an advantage honestly. It only removes the "need" for sheetrope (which is easy to find) and 1 nail to escape. And that's if you have the skill to begin with, have it leveled enough to justify attempting a roll rather than eliminating the risk of injuries by simply making a sheet rope.

First thing, I could see a sandbox option allowing for "assorted" zombie types from all 3 groups, it would certainly add variety, but tracking each of the 3 base types would be additional coding for the system that tracks zombie locations and migration. Not sure how hard that would be.

I was thinking this "parkour" skill already technically exists, as nimble. That said, I've never really leveled nimble to high skill levels, so I have no idea what it actually does at high levels.

As for NPC talk, very premature to start looking for specific features that NPC's are able to do. Might not be a bad idea to start an NPC wish list maybe? That'd be something to talk to the mods about before going ahead with, I personally would think having a long list in a single thread might be a good idea, but that is largely up to TIS if they want to encourage that and risk another excitement over NPCs.

I feel zombies should have similar traits to when they were human, so things like night owl, so they could see farther at night, things that make then stronger or faster (slightly), and other things like they are attracted towards water barrels or flood on the ground (representing high thirst/hunger). Just an idea.