Just as in every new game, fire is ridiculous

MXXIV

Current problems with fire:

1. Being on fire makes you immune to fire damage. You take damage from being on fire, but not from the surrounding fire.
  2. Zombies burn for 5 or more days and even player onFire duration is excessive
  3. Zombies never stop burning
  4. Zombies have 100% probability of catching on fire when walking in it
  5. Concrete and iron objects burn
  6. Burnt trees regrow over just few days rendering forest burning useless
  7. Grass tiles burn but tall grass on them doesn't, forming tall grass on burnt ground
  8. Road occasionally catches on fire of a zombie
  9. Rain has no effect on fire

Result of this is that if zombie catches on fire, it will set everything on fire, including other zombies which again spread the fire. The zombies burn for so long player will typically leave the area before even the first one die of fire.

Suggested changes:

• Standing in fire should always deal the same damage, regardless whether you're on fire or not
  • No character should be onFire excessively long. One in-game hour is maximum, players should extinguish sooner
  • Catching on fire should depend on your movement speed, not just random chance. Should be same for players and zombies - depending on fast they move
  • Rain should extinguish fire

Fire is, a few tweaks and rebalances aside, still more or less the same system we implemented way back in the early days of Zomboid and I agree I don't find the behaviour of the fire natural and realistic enough. We're at the point now where I don't want to promise anything new until we get stuff out there, but I do really want a graphic and functional overhaul of it since it's still very spritey and going through all the other issues with it will surely happen at the same time.

Different tiles have different burning points, though concrete can and will burn at the right temps. May be some bugs in this, but they're just bugs. Also, unless you've messed with Sandbox settings there's no way trees should be growing back in a number of days. The whole world would be overgrown if that were the case.

The trees recover from burnt stage (when they are transparent and have no leaves) back to normal status. I only have observational evidence of this, but if you insist I'm wrong I will post screenshots or even find it in the code.