Water Treatment Plant + Coal Power Plant

Zomboid

Just an idea that perhaps could use some refinement.

Occupation - Power Plant Technician (PP)

Occupation - Water Plant Technician (WP)

Location - Coal Power Plant (Coal fueled 92% of Kentucky's net electricity generation in 2014)

Location - Water Treatment Plant (Treats waste water and river water to provide water to the region)

Plant - 100%

-7.5% per day with no tech operating (14 days)

-4% per day with 1 tech operating (25 days)

-2% per day with 2 tech operating (50 days)

-1% per day with 3 tech operating (100 days)

+7.5% when repaired by a tech (requires LOTS of specialized parts)

(1 tech could only keep it going for 1 extra day, but this repair would allow 3 techs to make it last 8 extra days)

Same thing with the Water Plant.

You NEED to have the proper technician occupation to do these repairs and operating.

To operate the Coal Power Plant requires coal.

To operate the Water Treatment Plant requires special chemicals.

Operating with the required team (3) still causes a 1% degradation requiring maintenance(repairs) every ~3 months having more than 3 will not do anything but allow a backup for the day in case one dies.

The zombies would be attracted to the noise from the plants making it one of the first places to be overrun but luckily due to security reasons it was also one of the most secure.

It isn't a bunch of greasy peasants shoveling coal into a furnace XD

it uses backhoes and bulldozers. and they burn through coal SUPER fast.

There's no way in hell one man could upkeep an entire plant

It's just too big and there's too much work for one man.

I agree. Right now the invisible Power Plant in the game is operating for 14 days. So maybe 1 person maintaining the Plant could keep it going for an extra 14 days. Maybe 3 people in multiplayer could keep it going longer. Perhaps there is a reserve coal connected to a conveyor belt and when that runs out then coal trips need to be made and as you said it would be extremely time consuming for a small amount of people.

Might work in multiplayer, but then you'd have a bunch of people on the server dedicated to running this plant. It sounds very much like "Let's play 'go to work' ish" to me.

That is true in singleplayer you would have no hope of running the plant yourself but PERHAPS you could keep the plant going for an extra few days. Why you would want to do this? Once NPC's are added this could perhaps be a specific quest for the theoretical profession I am talking about. Remember this would only be for players who choose the Power Plant Technician and would be impossible for all other players.

Yes, it is kind of like go to work but that is the point they are working when the zombie outbreak happens so will you choose to try to maintain power for the people as long as you can or run off and live in the forest. I think by having the Plant make lots of noise it would actually require a constant extermination or protection from zombies. Maybe a sort of tower defense... rigging the fence to the power plant for electrified fences? Right now we have games where the player who chooses to be the Chef is a "go to work" kind of person. We throw him in the house and make him do the dishes and he is constantly working all day making us food while we bring him ingredients, this would really be no different but instead the job is a lot more important but should be very difficult to do.

i would like a powerplant added, but not functioning. I think the powerplant near my house is more than an acre in size and it works in tandem with a chemistry plant also nearly an acre in size to collect and refine sulfuric acid from the spent coal.  This operation requires at least 100 people.

In regards to a water treatment plant, i proposed this in addition to a water tower before which can easily be operated by generators or a raiding spot for chemicals, but it was shot down with water being easily accessible from sinks and such even after water is cut off.