"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" Windows 8 problem

k12314

Question

So, I've installed Project Zomboid on Steam, and have the latest Beta update. But every time I open the game, once I load into the main menu, after a few seconds my whole computer freezes, and I get the thread title as a popup and Project Zomboid remains frozen while the rest of my computer is now fine. The weird thing is, I can still click stuff and the game responds, but the video is frozen and nothing shows up, but I can hear sounds like I'm clicking things (Like, if I click Sandbox then load a save I hear the loading screen music but it looks like I'm still frozen on the menu). My specs:

[Main Info]

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
       System Model: HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC
               BIOS: F.12
          Processor: Intel® Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8074MB RAM
          Page File: 2257MB used, 7033MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

[Display Device Info]

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
       Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family
           DAC type: Internal
        Device Type: Full Device
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_18A4103C&REV_09
     Display Memory: 1664 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
      Shared Memory: 1632 MB
       Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: unknown
         Monitor Id: AUO32EC
        Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.016Hz)
        Output Type: Internal
        Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 9.17.0010.2817 (English)
     Driver Version: 9.17.10.2817
        DDI Version: 11
     Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
 Compute Preemption: Thread group
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 7/28/2012 11:32:02, 8281600 bytes

That was all from DxDiag as you can probably tell. If you guys need any other info I didn't post here just ask. I'd kinda like to be able to play the game again.

I wanna drink the bleach.

11 answers to this question

Obviously, first thing to try would be to check if there's an updated driver for your video card/chipset from the notebook Manufacturer, (HP in your case).

Sometimes, Manufacturers drivers aren't updated as regularly as the "generic" drivers from AMD, Intel etc. If you're sure you have the latest driver from HP, and it still has issues, you could try installing a "generic" one direct from Intel. Just be aware that some model notebooks won't install the generic drivers, (not easily anyway), and there's always the potential of messing up your video drivers if you "force" an install etc. Anyway, here's a link to a driver from the Intel site:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22842〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

Looks like it should cover your Intel HD 4000 series...

You could also have a search yourself with this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

I'll download that file and see if it helps. It's weird because I didn't have this problem in .16, just the Steam version.

hmmm, that is odd - I wonder if it's the Steam "overlay" thing causing an issue with your driver? Do you run other Steam games okay?

Might be worth checking your driver version/updating if necessary anyway, at least rule it out as a possibility...  (clyde)

I'll download that file and see if it helps. It's weird because I didn't have this problem in .16, just the Steam version.

hmmm, that is odd - I wonder if it's the Steam "overlay" thing causing an issue with your driver? Do you run other Steam games okay?

Might be worth checking your driver version/updating if necessary anyway, at least rule it out as a possibility...  (clyde)

I tested a bunch of both my Steam games, and non-Steam games that support the overlay, and they're all just fine. It's just PZ.

Have you tried disabling Shaders, changing video memory settings in the PZ options?

The problem is that the game bugs out and I can't see what I'm clicking, so I can't change the options.

I installed the driver you linked me to, I'm going to shut down and test it in the morning.

Have you tried disabling Shaders, changing video memory settings in the PZ options?

The problem is that the game bugs out and I can't see what I'm clicking, so I can't change the options.

I installed the driver you linked me to, I'm going to shut down and test it in the morning.

Cool. One more thought, have you tried starting PZ in "Compatibility" mode?

Yeah, I tried that, same thing happened. But the new drivers fixed the problem. Thanks EreWeGo.

Yeah, I tried that, same thing happened. But the new drivers fixed the problem. Thanks EreWeGo.

Awesome! Glad it worked for you mate.  :-D