Salting and Preserving Food

Comrade Crimson

I am not sure if this was specifically suggested before, but I'd like to see smoking of meats, salting, pickling and other old school practices of preserving foods, especially meats to be looked into.

The tradeoff for this is that in order to preserve said meats and foods you have to be a fairly adept cook, perhaps level 3 or even higher, and have the materials to do it. (Like salt.) There can also be a reduction on the nutrition value of the food, so its a trade between a long term supply or an immediate nutritious meal.

I am not sure if this was specifically suggested before, but I'd like to see smoking of meats, salting, pickling and other old school practices of preserving foods, especially meats to be looked into.

The tradeoff for this is that in order to preserve said meats and foods you have to be a fairly adept cook, perhaps level 3 or even higher, and have the materials to do it. (Like salt.) There can also be a reduction on the nutrition value of the food, so its a trade between a long term supply or an immediate nutritious meal.

That (the bold part) would be a great way to encourage us to raise our cooking skill.

At the moment I'm only cooking for a change here and there and never got higher than first skilllevel to date.

my (a bit offtopic, sry) thoughts about cooking:

There's no reason for me to cook food right now. (At least in solo) there's tons of nonperishables, and when farming you can simply eat cabbage without a downside till the end of our world and beyond, haha.

I feel like the effort of cooking isn't worth it by now. The fed-up moodle has gone after few seconds regardless the amount of food i eat* and i nearly never need the hapiness bonus of cooked whatever.

(*i know there's a slight diff)

Furthermore the big portions (2/4 bowls of soup or whatever) do not seem to have any advantage to me, because there's no energy storage like in dayz, which i then could fill up. And as said before the moodle is gone quite fast and cooked stuff is rotten as fast as a simple cabbage.

Then there is the problem with soonish lack of electricity.. Let's burn down our Safehouse, YEEAHH! ... Uh, no. I eat another cabbage, yummi!

Ah, i think i had more to say in mind, but i'm runnin out of time.

Giev prservation nao, plxplx. I liek!