Improvised Supressors

CatGuitarist

I thought it was a cool idea to add supressors, but that would take to the thought... Where do you get them? No military bases yet, and most supressors are added in factory, so what about doing an improvised suppresor?

An improvised supressor is done by holding a pillow ahead of the barrel, and firing. There will still be alot of noise, compared to an iron suppresor, But a low ''PUMP'' is alot better than a loud ''BANG''.

You would probably need a pillow on the secondary slot, or craft a circle of silk and leather around the barrel's tip ; making it alot more heavy. Also, we give an use to the useless pillows around the game!

However, it's not just pros about this. Doing this will severly impair your range, the standart-issue U.S military Colt M1911 has a range of 75 m until the bullet loses it's momentum.. Added to the pillow's mass? I would say.... Less that 20 m.

This would be a bit overpowered though ; a silent and deadly 1-hit weapon, that has a bad, but alright range. Also, the bullet tends to go to other places, because all the pillowstuff parries it.

But you need ammo for it. Remember. And the pillow has it's durability, you can't shoot in it a million times.. It's gonna rip sooner or later!

Leave your thoughts below.

This is when i get serious and research.

The M142, a standart-issue western revolver, is also used alot, but the maximum range until momentum loss is 23 m. The range would be lowered to a mediocre 5 m! Considering that the U.S average man stands at 162 cm, i managed to do a chart about the PZ characters. 1 M is about the height of the character's curves' middle spot. That means, every tile, wich is 1-10 of a cell (Standart: 1) is half a meter. That would mean, the supressed ''Rex'' or revolver, would be just 3 tiles long of range! I could just walk 8 steps and attack it with a baseball bat, and would be easier. And a stronger one like the .44 Magnum would maul the pillow completely. That checks supressed revolvers out of this list.

Also, forget about shotguns and assault rifles. Why?

1. There is poor chances an assault rifle is added to the game.

2. The standart hunting shotgun has 12 gauge pellets, wich stand at 3mm each. We are talking about a plastic cylinder breaking into lots of pieces, sparcing a racing 3mm bullets around a pillow. That's not gonna be nor silent, nor effective!

The only recorded shotguns with supressors are the SPAS-12 (Isn't shipped from the year 2000), 870 MCS or 870 Remmington (Still in duty) and some more, wich i can't name because i have a really short memory..

And about SMGs, they have alot more of Fire Capability, but have a smaller caliber. Those would also maul the pillow.

Sooo, there you have it, guys.. The only hope of supressors in SMGs, Assault rifles and Shotguns, is to have specific weapons, with real, iron-hard supressors, wich won't be implemented until the Military bases are.. Sorry if i crushed your hopes.

I actually made a pillow silencer mod. This topic has been suggested a lot and are usually starts a fight for and against. What this game is trying to deliver is partially a feeling that firearms aren't a viable method of dealing with zombies, because it takes away a great deal of suspense. (eg. making the horror experience too easy to overpower)

A make-shift surpressor or silencer empowers the player in a manner that wasn't intented, afaik

e_e another. ANOTHER. Supressor/silencer suggestion?

Heres only a very small bit of exactly the same threads.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3515-silencer-for-weapons/?hl=supressor#entry48124

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5503-firearm-suppressors-modification-and-ammunition-crafting/?hl=silencer#entry73995

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4179-pistol-silencer-pillow/?hl=silencer

Can we PLEASE stop making this same thread? Use the search in the upper right if you must, but they aren't going to ever be added.

We appreciate your suggestion, but as has been mentioned there have been dozens of threads about this and several within the week (and I'm pretty sure one right on the front page of the Suggestions forum right now). It helps reduce clutter and keep thoughts centralized if we don't have dozens of threads about the same topic, so I'll be locking this one.