A Question or Two About the 3-D Engine

forceofthegrim

Hello everyone, I have a question.

I read that Indie Stone plans on adding a new 3D Engine to the game in the moderately-close future. My question is this: Does this change the way the camera works? Certainly it would at least mean we could rotate the camera, but since a 3D engine would allow for more camera styles, do you think we will eventually see an over-the-shoulder third person view, or even first person? Personally, I think first person PZ would be pretty cool, but I would want the option to switch between views if they do add more of them.

What do you guys think?

It essentially still can't happen (rotation or other points of view). The simple version of why is that things still aren't going to have bottom or side textures, and having to go through not only making all of those, but also making their map tools able to handle them would be more work than it's worth at this point.

They have explicitly stated that the new engine will not allow for camera rotation, over the shoulder, or first-person. <3

i don't know if i am blind or not, but where is everyone getting information?
yeah in my entire time in the community i never heard of such things. they actually explicitly stated that there will be no 1st or 3rd person views :/

I know it will improve performance, since the 3D engine will take load off of the processor and put it into video memory, but isn't that worse for intel integrated?

Probably for the lower end ones, yes. Anything Intel HD 4000 or above is actually a fairly good graphics solution and shouldn't have trouble. At this point we'll just have to wait and see.

It essentially still can't happen (rotation or other points of view). The simple version of why is that things still aren't going to have bottom or side textures, and having to go through not only making all of those, but also making their map tools able to handle them would be more work than it's worth at this point.

Rotation is actually a very vague long term wish now, since we now have every building in the game world using the building editor, which conceptually has both sides of walls etc. It's so way off in terms of plausibility that when and if it ever happened you'd probably be experiencing it with your friends in online multi-player, but with the 3D engine stuff it IS on the table, but would require all furniture etc to be 3Dified which is a long long way off if we ever achieve it.

At this point it's all speculation- we'll just hafta wait and see!

Quick Edit: I should note that GPU's handle loads MUCH better than CPU's, meaning per work exported it should, in theory, require less on the GPU's side.

Oh the feaaaar.

Then again. Say it does work. My FPS might stay a stable 30. Instead of 25-29.

By any chance would that weird studdering you get when walking be fixed?

Though I don't know why this is only a theory, surely theres games that have done this too. Kinda. To look at.

By any chance would that weird studdering you get when walking be fixed?

Anything related to performance is going to be pretty much up in the air. Old renderer bugs will probably all be gone, new ones will come along. The reason I say it's speculation is that we have no way of knowing how everything will perform after the change.

Archived