pause empty option not working

czenkova

Regarding the pauseempty=true option; I can't seem to get my server to pause for the life of me.

I updated from build 23 to the new beta (27?), wiped out my existing .bins and such, and hosted a new server for myself and two friends about 6 hours ago. We've been playing off and on, but now it's bedtime, and whether I have pauseempty set to true or false, time is progressing with no one connected to the server. And with the server shut down, it seems like.

Can anyone help with this? I seem to remember being able to pause by setting pauseempty to false back in build 23, but again, neither option is stopping time from progressing. I disconnect, no players are left, I wait 5 minutes or so, and 2.5-ish hours have passed. Kinda stressful mostly because of the fledgling plants with only half a wall at our ramshackle stronghold o.O

Any help appreciated. TL;DR time seems to be progressing with no players connected to server whether pauseempty option in C:\Users\User\Zomboid\Server]serverOptions.ini is set to true or false.

edit: ok, it seems time doesn't pass with the server shut down, so for now we're just shutting it down til we all play again.

Oh wow, that would make a lot of sense. I'm home sick today so I'll try singleplayer and see if it seems like a newer build. 23b was the most recent when I was playing, and it looked like what we were playing was 23b except with a few new items, so yeah I bet that's it.

Thanks for the heads up! Back to tinkering!

So, I've updated to Build 27 #1, wiped out my old server Multiplayer folder, and tried pauseempty = true and false, and both settings seem to allow time to progress with the server running.

Is this a common issue? I'd like to be able to leave the server running so my friends can jump on/off at will whether I'm online or not, but the pause empty feature is sort of crucial for our playstyle.

Edit: All I see happening after I disconnect from the server is:

Unloading cell: 167, 95 (38, 22)

Unloading cell: 167, 95

Unloading cell: 168, 95 (39, 22)

I'm kind of surprised I haven't found any other posts anywhere regarding this.

Is anyone here able to successfully use the pauseempty function? Unfortunately I've dug around in all other settings-related files and I can't find any other troubleshooting to try outside of switching pauseempty on and off and restarting the server :(

Can't reproduce it. Time ceases to change when I exit from the game.

Most I can suggest is delete map_t.bin to force the game to redownload its time data from the server.

The only other explanation I (and Connall) can think of is that a player crashed out and created a ghost of themselves.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go!

Are you using the pauseempty=true option to achieve that result? Or false?

I was thinking it may have something to do with compatibility mode, but the server doesn't care about that, just the game.

Tried it and still not working, but I understand that there aren't very many things to try. Might need to just delete everything and download fresh since I've switched versions so many times. Hate to lose the progress on the game we already have going, so for now I'm just setting up a remote desktop so my mates can pop the server on/off when I'm unavailable.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, at least I can keep my sanity intact knowing that it works as intended with a clean install.