Addiction from smoking, coffee etc. makes depressed

Joris

Just because it looks odd to me to see sigarettes and coffee only have positive effects. Alcohol is also significantly addictive, but in-game it has negative side effects already.

So when you consume nicotine, caffeine (coffee, tea, energy drinks) or alcohol for say 7 days in a row you start a little craving on day 8 that disturbs your mood - or is satisfied by more consumption and then strengthens the addiction.

Ending your caffeine addiction cold turkey makes for some tiresome days!

Then there's sugar and fat but I don't think we need such a system in our game.

As a regular coffee drinker I'd say it is hardly addictive enough to warrant physical withdrawal. Months of coffee 'use' just end suddenly 'cold turkey' without any real effect I could even mention, it is not even close to that of nicotine and alcohol addiction.

The only realistic way to get addicted to caffeine is via energy drinks, caffeine pills and the like. Things that contain a lot of the stuff. To take in enough caffeine via coffee... Well you would have regurgitated before you would have drunk enough coffee. Same with normal beers, you normally can't get an alcohol poisoning induced coma from it because the volume of beer you'd need to drink to get to the required amount of alcohol is much larger than your stomach capacity.

I'd 1+ smoking and alcohol being addictive, and possily new bad traits of smoker and alcoholhic, with smokers getting a bad cough and alcoholhics getting angry.

Actually alcoholics have a bit of a more serious problem, withdrawal is often deadly as it causes seizures. IE alcoholic trait: Dies if the player runs dry on alcohol.(so if you picked that, it would be a really big negative trait)

Agreed, coffee has rather weak side-effects. I have friends who drink a couple a day though, and when they don't get their coffee, they most certainly become non-appreciated company. But yeah thats drinking a lot of espresso's a day, which is not going to happen in the game probably.

@chaotix14: although regular 5% beers are not enough to provide an adult with alcohol poisoning, they most certainly are addictive!

Agreed, coffee has rather weak side-effects. I have friends who drink a couple a day though, and when they don't get their coffee, they most certainly become non-appreciated company. But yeah thats drinking a lot of espresso's a day, which is not going to happen in the game probably.

@chaotix14: although regular 5% beers are not enough to provide an adult with alcohol poisoning, they most certainly are addictive!

Yeah, bit of bad wording on my part.

You may not like forgoing coffee, but you'd hardly have withdraw symptoms.  You will be poor company for a few days, but after that you'd be fine.

Cigarette addiction could just be anxiety when you go too long without one, and slower overall speed and reduced sprinting time.  Alcohol could also affect your overall stamina when not drunk, but give a bonus while drunk.