Women and Men in Project Zomboid.....

Migoxiss

About the only thing I can see coming out of this would be gender-bias as a trait for player characters or NPCs in the future. As a negative trait naturally.

Be interesting though. The Zombie Apocalypse is the great leveller, as has been said. Be pretty good gameplay wise seeing a person ejected from a survivor group because they're being an ass when it comes to gender. Just as it goes on the forums: Be lovely. :P

Also, being able to run around in a skirt/kilt/sheet in lieu of pants? Hell yeah. No one messes with the man in a neon pink skirt. :D

Hey,

intressting posts here. I think it would be kinda cool to make the genders different from one another. Here are some results from a scientific study. The text is in german so i try to translate the important parts (poorly)

Physique:

Women in general are smaller and have a lighter frame than men. Their bones are 25 % lighter and and due to that their bones are more prone to breaking under extreme situations. Women have thinner shoulders, shorter arms and legs and and a broader hip, which (compared to men) lowers their mass center. That means they will be not as good in running and jumping disciplines as men while its possitive while swimming.

Muscle:

This is the part where the performance of the genders are most different. Women have lighter muscles than man and their body is (again in general) consisting about 10% more fat than men. This fat is often saved in the muscles and makes the muscle performance of women weaker than mens.

Organs and Breathing:

Since women are lighter and smaller than men their organs also are smaller and a bit weaker compared. They have a smaller hearth and less blood than men. This also means that the womens maximum air intake is a bit lower than mens.

Heat regulation:

Again men are a bit better having more and bigger sweat glands. Sports Scientist in 1971 also discovered that women will lose muscle performance earlier than men when being dehydrated.

Results:

Women only have 2/3 of the muscle strenght a male has.

The saved fats in a womens body are an advantage on very long runs.

Women are about 10% slower than men.

Women have in general a better hand eye coordination. (what ? not the women i know ;) )

Women have more water and fat in their muscles making the muslce more agile but also more prone to injury.

Conclusion (not from the text but from me)

I don't think the differences are big enough to make this whole thing work. There are women that are faster and stronger than most men it's just not that common.

I agree with your conclusion. All those statistics are averaged anyway, which is important to note because that means it's not necessarily true for any given individual case. So there's no real reason to implement in-game unless the player wants to take it as a trait or something.

Male + Female will always remain identical. Exactly because such distinction never leads to nice things and we don't want to penalise or reward either gender for choosing to play their own gender (something that's an important feature to many female gamers who like to roleplay themselves as a character)

and I'm a skinny weakling IRL I'd get my ass handed to me by a lot of women and considering the diversity of people, such gender boundaries are somewhat muddy and less relevant outside of sports.

If you want to play a female/male character this way, choose the appropriate traits for them. :)

I recall having to do 15 pull-ups in gym class to get an A; females in the class were expected to do 1 - many were unable.  Yeah. I'd say there's a significant difference there.  Also, the argument that "some women are stronger than some men" is completely irrelevant.  Comparing the weaker of one group with the stronger of another says nothing about the average strength of the groups individually - and if you want to have a strong woman, that's what the "strong" trait is for...  I don't particularly care anyway, just my two cents.  

That's called school. And school is notorious for being sexist while at the same time measuring everyone the same way, gym class is the worst example of it. I still recall from first grade a few guys who unassisted had to jump over their shoulders in height to pass the grade. While the girls passing height was something some of them could pass without a problem.

Alright, you have fairly addressed the first sentence of my argument.  Now, here's some more stuff:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17186303

http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/1/81

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00235103

I recall having to do 15 pull-ups in gym class to get an A; females in the class were expected to do 1 - many were unable.  Yeah. I'd say there's a significant difference there.  Also, the argument that "some women are stronger than some men" is completely irrelevant.  Comparing the weaker of one group with the stronger of another says nothing about the average strength of the groups individually - and if you want to have a strong woman, that's what the "strong" trait is for...  I don't particularly care anyway, just my two cents.  

That's called school. And school is notorious for being sexist while at the same time measuring everyone the same way, gym class is the worst example of it. I still recall from first grade a few guys who unassisted had to jump over their shoulders in height to pass the grade. While the girls passing height was something some of them could pass without a problem.

Alright, you have fairly addressed the first sentence of my argument.  Now, here's some more stuff:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17186303

http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/1/81

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00235103

Since Lemmy has provided a game-definitive answer, and the tone of this is starting to edge towards unloveliness, I'm gunna close this topic now.