About "We don’t want crafted armour to look too anachronistic or “knightly”..."

Verto

So the full quote i want to talk about is:

We don’t want crafted armour to look too anachronistic or “knightly” – looking like they should be part of a renaissance fair. We don’t want to be too goofy, although there are a few more ‘fun’ options in there, and we don’t want anything that doesn’t look like it belongs in the Zomboid setting. Importantly armour should work like real armour, and operate within the bounds of PZ logic itself.

Now let me start with saying, i agree, copy and paste medieval armor woudn't really fit, but i think there are ways that could let players have their "knigtly" armor, that also looks post apocalyptic, the answer is "random metal junk", if we look at objects like metal crate or metal wall, we can see that they are made from random metal sheets welded toghether, same could apply for "plate" armour that's just mismatched pieces of metal and/or road signs roughtly shaped to ressemble a picture of an early plate armor we found in some historical magazine, as much as breastplate or helmets more complex than kettle might be out of the picture, i think leg/arm armour could fit, afterall it was shaped like that because it worked as an armor, so i don't see why some survivors woudn't go back to what's tried and tested instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Also to add Basic Chain mail is really easy to make and doesn't require advanced tools ( Just Metal Wire + Pliers ) 

What it needs most is Just time, lots of time

Which could be done something iike a "workbench book" where you are constantly doing 1 project - similar to reading a book on a workbench. 

So you can stop and start any time.

Edited by ZombieHunter

Yes... but the simple question would be "what for?" Why would anyone craft a chainmail in the apocalypse where he gets probably shot down for food by some jerk or ripped apart by his ex-nerd-friends who would have surely appreciated his fancy-rpg-style medieval armor but sadly now are more interested in feeding on his innards

Chain is okay, but I think gambeson is really what you would want. It would easily stop zombie bites while also being lighter and easier to make. It wouldn't be great for blunt force, but that's just hard to deal with generally. I guess zombies wouldn't be putting out a lot of blunt force though, relative to like a mace or whatever.

But yeah, gambeson. I think once the new content comes out I might poke to see how hard it would be to mod in something like that as a craftable item.

On 4/29/2024 at 11:12 AM, getstoopid said:

Yes... but the simple question would be "what for?" Why would anyone craft a chainmail in the apocalypse where he gets probably shot down for food by some jerk or ripped apart by his ex-nerd-friends who would have surely appreciated his fancy-rpg-style medieval armor but sadly now are more interested in feeding on his innards

Because most people don't play zomboid for PvP?

Zombies would struggle biting you, you would instead be suffering from blunt force trauma instead of lacerations. 

I didn't talk about "the game"... I meant in a real apocalypse. It would simply make no sense to craft a chain mail when hardened leather and plate would be way easier to combine and simple enough to get.

And yeah, a gambeson would be neat and useful

Edited by getstoopid