More Robust Weapon Crafting

GoldenBullet

So currently there are only 3 weapons you can craft in game (nailed plank, nailed baseball bat, and saw-ed shotgun). While all the other crafting systems are pretty awesome so far, weapon crafting is just sad at the moment. I think one of the reasons why it has been neglected is because it's hard to come up with feasible formula's to put in a realistic game like PZ. Reason i made this thread so that ideas can be tossed around. List a formula for a weapon that can be actually useful against zombies but can be constructed with reasonable materials

Flamethrower

Weight: 8-12

Durability: High

Blueprints: 1x Garden House, 1x Empty Propane Tank, 1-3x Gas Can, 1x Garden Hose, 1x Backpack

Refill: Empty Flamethrower + 1-3x Gas Can

Battery: Co2

Propane tanks can be found in empty grills and garden hoses could just be placed in front of random houses. The durability of this item would be high but the Gas Can fuel would be depleted extremely quickly. Essentially the fuel would work just like how water bottles due and the longer you hold the flame the emptier it gets. Also note that just like flashlights you would need a canister of Co2 to power it.

Old Lady Purse

Weight: 4

Durability: Medium

Blueprints: 1x Purse, 1x SandBag

Has very high knockback but can only kill zombies who are on the ground.

I OD like the idea of using a weighted bag to knock zombies down (hell, I made a suggestion about using bags of loot for it a while ago), but the flamethrower, any ad-hoc flamethrower, is just asking to end in a fireball of sadness.

Molotovs? Yep, sure. Flamethrowers? Probably not the best idea, as crafting them to avoid spontaneously exploding would be ludicrously hard. A flame fougasse wouldn't be that hard to craft however. Drum of flammable liquid, something that goes boom, and a method of triggering it from a distance.

Sure, you've turned a backpack mounted device into a large static land-mine style thing, but, it could work... Imagine having a few set up around a fortress in case a stupidly sized horde rocks up. Then all you need to do is stop the flaming zombies setting the building on fire, and you're laughing :D

Oh dear. :S What do you think would happen when you put gas through a plastic hose and light the end of the hose in fire? I'll tell you that I won't suggest trying... This game strives for realism and doing that would be a suicide.

As for the purse. That's a awesomely fun idea. :D I don't think it would work, but it would be funny as hell.

I don't even know why everytime you hear zombie, another one answers "flamethrower". A flamethrower may have it's place somewhere in conventional warfare because they cause fear to the enemy (aren't they forbidden?). But a zombie doesn't feel fear, nor does a flamethrower stop him. The only thing you get of a result is: instead of 50 zombies trying to eat you, you get 50 walking campfires....trying to eat you.

Now maybe you want to say "but what about PvP?"...flamethrowers have a shitty range (30 to 50m ?). Now the opponent has a rifle, shotgun, pistol and you are just s walking firecracker.

You can make a mini flamethrower using a lighter and a spray-can and some Tape.

It can be used like a torch and sets things on fire in a 1-2 tile range in front of you, but doesn't inflict any damage.

But the use of flamethrowers in a PZ game means a lot of griefing, so their burning capability and spread capability should be low.

I don't think flamethrowers should be a type of weapon used against other players, but a tool like a blowtorch which can burn things, rather for a strategy or for griefing. At worst you have players running around with a mini-flamethrower, setting everything on fire.

Making spears would be a interesting proposal over blunt and swung weapons. It would require a new animation though as spears are two handed, though with enough training you can stab with a spear with one hand if it's light and durable enough...

Adding steel rods into the game for carpentry/construction/crafting use would be a good idea to be able to create more make-shift weapons.

Steel Rod + Rock + Duct Tape = Makeshift Hammer

Steel Rod + Kitchen Knife + Duct Tape = Makeshift Spear

Sturdy Stick + Fork or Butter Knife + Any Tape = Makeshift Shank

Crafted weapons like these have low durability but high damage. Basically quick use weapons that expires very fast in battle.