Zombies Should Forget

dannyisdude

A single zombie should not decide that the destruction of a door or window is the only thing they will focus on until they die when they bump into one. Instead, they should forget what they were doing after an amount of time not seeing a player.

If I, a living, breathing, human with a fully functioning brain, forget what I'm doing sometimes, there is no way a zombie is gonna remember why it's hitting a door for hours on end. A single zombie or two should get bored and give up before they can bash down an outside door, or a fully/mostly barricaded window. This would make barricading windows actually feel like it has a point in places with zombies.

Right now, if a zombie starts hitting your fully barricaded windows, it is going to break it down, invariably. This means a fully barricaded window doesn't actually provide protection, because either the zombie breaks in, or you have to go outside to prevent it from breaking in, exposing yourself and attracting nearby zombies, rendering barricading windows and staying hidden inside a building completely pointless. 

Alternatively, could we get a getter function for the zombie class's "TimeSinceSeenFlesh" field? It would make implementing this ourselves easier.

Edited by dannyisdude

32 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

They do forget it just takes them a while.

There is a memory setting in sandbox. 

Also my new favriote mod

Barricades do Damage

I really hope some modders expand on this so there are "specialized" barricades that do damage like Spiked Planks or something.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2913137598

They do not. I just tested today. Even zombies with memory set to none will bash on a door for literal days, and still always tear down fully barricade windows. A single zombie may well take down a door as well, I just haven't watched longer than two days. They will never stop on their own.

Zombies bashing on door though may seem like they stop on their own when you play normally though. In reality, they only stop because you fast forwarded to the max speed, or slept; they don't actually stop on their own or forget.

Edited by dannyisdude

8 hours ago, dannyisdude said:

They do not. I just tested today. Even zombies with memory set to none will bash on a door for literal days, and still always tear down fully barricade windows. A single zombie may well take down a door as well, I just haven't watched longer than two days. They will never stop on their own.

Zombies bashing on door though may seem like they stop on their own when you play normally though. In reality, they only stop because you fast forwarded to the max speed, or slept; they don't actually stop on their own or forget.

There is probably something triggering them 

I slept on 2nd floor of a bar and had a zombie keep  hitting the door at the night, when I woke up the zombie left door was fine

That doesn't mean the system couldn't be improved further.

4 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

There is probably something triggering them 

I slept on 2nd floor of a bar and had a zombie keep  hitting the door at the night, when I woke up the zombie left door was fine

That doesn't mean the system couldn't be improved further.

Like I mentioned, this happened because you slept, not because the zombie forgot on it's own. Sleeping cause the game to fast forward at max speed, which slightly breaks zombie ai. They don't forget so much as fast-forward forces them out of the thumping state. If you don't fast-forward, they will not stop.