Hanging Off Windows and Ledges to Prevent Falling

Nowthere27

Ever accidentally vaulted out a window above the first floor or walked off a roof?

I was thinking to prevent that from happening when a character vaults out a window above the first floor they could hang off of it rather than just go all the way through and let go. Similar principle with walking off a roof, your character could just hang off instead.

What the player could do next is either press any of the directional keys (wasd by default) to pull themselves back up/in or they can hold "E" to follow through with the dangerous jump/fall.

They could also use a drop down menu to either pull themselves back in or drop themselves.

That's a great idea because of the reason you gave but also to reduce fall damage, and make you able to see what's down there before letting go, because of the isometric view you can't see what's down there on north side before jumping.

What I would also suggest to not fall off a roof by mistake is to crouch like in Minecraft, if you crouch you can't fall which would be really useful especially when while building.

I'd suggest different controls though, hold E to jump through the window like it is right now so you can keep this classical jump through the window quickly, and if you keep holding E  then you hang to the edge, if you release it then you fall, if you keep holding E and press W then you go up. It may be more complex but in my opinion it makes more sense and seems more "natural" because if you want your character to stay hanging then you hold a key like they hold on the edge and release it like they release their grip.

I don't know if it's really better, maybe I'm too used to Tomb Raider