One user cannot join, "return code 5"

JohannesMP

I'm running a dedicated PZ Multiplayer server. Since it's only for me and some friends I am not using a whitelist. it's been working great and we've already had several people able to connect successfully.

However one friend of mine that I tried to get on today has been unable to do so. I've double checked that he entered the IP and port correctly and is using a reasonable name and no password.

When he tries to connect, either via double clicking the server entry on the left side, or by clicking the 'join server' button, His client hangs on 'connecting...'

Also, his command-line output displays "return code: 5", which appears the second he tries to connect:

YXvSi95.png

(Note: the resolution changes that are appearing there are not relevant, he was just trying to get the window out of the way for the screenshot, and we confirmed later that the exact same thing happens even when he doesn't change his client's window size)

This is different than the "return code: 0" that you see when trying to connect with incorrect server details. The user in question checked that his firewall is disabled and antivirus temporarily turned off, so it shouldn't be blocked there, and there was only one other person connected to the server at the time so it wasn't an issue there either.

Does anyone know what return code 5 means, and how we might be able to fix it, if at all?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a new one for me but for the sake of arguemnt, make a backup of the character associated with the server and place somewhere safe, like your desktop or something. Then delete the folder with the character and connect, does this fix the problem?