Setting time in sandbox

Jela331

I posted this in another thread, but it was too offtopic so I'll post it here. It's about setting time after the first infection in sandbox, but when the NPCs are introduced because it would be much more fun.

First days after infection would be peaceful, stores would be packed with stuff.

About 5 days after the first infection, the police are advising to stay indoors, with your loved ones and do not make any contact with strangers.

Some weeks after the infection, only 30% of population is alive. Some places have been looted, forts are rising, gangs are being created and such.

Few months after the infection, 20% of population is alive. Many houses and stores are emptied out, just some junk is left inside. Military begins patrolling the city, making camps, killing infected(even the survivors which were scratched or bit.) Raids on forts are happening.

Half a year after the infection(or more), everything went to shit. You can't trust anyone, food supplies are terribly low. Water and electricity has been shut down. Military has been ordered to remove any possible threat. About 10% of population is alive, but some are dead on the inside.

I fully support the idea of there being a lot of NPC's starting off, basically simulating that this is the beginning of the outbreak. And maybe being told at game start by either tv/radio to, "STAY INDOORS, BLAH BLAH ZOMBIES".

Gotta admit it would be pretty neat looting houses that first day or two and hearing interviews of scientists speculating on what they think is the root/cause, warnings from news stations, even straight up static would really add some atmosphere if a tv or radio was left on.

Totally off-topic but relevant to atmosphere, PLEASE let there be flickering lights. That would be so sweeeet.

The devs have said that there will be, at least radio, broadcasts in the beginning of the apocalypse once we get a little further in the developement. To add, as has been said there will be no "patient zero" phase where everything would be like nothing happened and develop from there on.

It is unclear however how close to the outbreak the devs are going to take it and I think it should mostly be left to the player to imagine. I don't necessarily want to know if it's two weeks or two months into the outbreak when I start a new game, but rather get to my own conclusions on what I see. Therefore I somewhat like the idea of a slightly larger NPC population in the beginning that will eventually thin out somewhat. But most of all, more than NPCs I'd see this as an atmospheric thing such as with the erosion mod or already broken windows, blood on the walls etc. I think the thing they create has far more impact to the feeling of how far are we rather than simply the amount of NPCs.

I'd also like to add that you'll be able to set the amount of NPCs in sandbox.