[41.68]Restricted movement.

Ohziriz

So recently my character has not been able to sprint. Wether its on a MP server or solo, I always have Restricted Movement. I spawned completely naked I spawned in with and without mods and its the same every time I am unable to run/sprint. And that just became a thing today. The other day I was able to run around but would get Exhausted within a few seconds and no matter how long I would rest for or how often id rest for I really couldn't sprint for longer then 8-9 seconds before I just couldn't run anymore. At first i thought it was my traits...i had the Obese trait so i thought "okay I could see how this could happen" New character with no traits that negatively effect movement and it happened just as often if not the exact same. I uninstalled and re installed after the High exhaustion "bug" and no I am unable to Sprint at all. I checked around a little bit and failed to find any fixes so hopefully this can get me some answers. Love the game and Love the community. 

Edited by Ohziriz

• Ohziriz changed the title to [41.68]Restricted movement.
17 hours ago, Ohziriz said:

So recently my character has not been able to sprint. Wether its on a MP server or solo, I always have Restricted Movement. I spawned completely naked I spawned in with and without mods and its the same every time I am unable to run/sprint. And that just became a thing today. The other day I was able to run around but would get Exhausted within a few seconds and no matter how long I would rest for or how often id rest for I really couldn't sprint for longer then 8-9 seconds before I just couldn't run anymore. At first i thought it was my traits...i had the Obese trait so i thought "okay I could see how this could happen" New character with no traits that negatively effect movement and it happened just as often if not the exact same. I uninstalled and re installed after the High exhaustion "bug" and no I am unable to Sprint at all. I checked around a little bit and failed to find any fixes so hopefully this can get me some answers. Love the game and Love the community. 

Could you make a short video of this please? (will make it easier for us to see what else is going on). 

Are you using any mods? Is this SP or MP? Are you trying any particular scenario?

@PandoreaI tested with mods and without mods. And this happens in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer for me. Also I'm not running any particular scenario. I hold down Shift to run and the "Restricted Movement" blip pops up and i am unable to sprint. that's all that happens.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:27 AM, Ohziriz said:

@PandoreaI tested with mods and without mods. And this happens in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer for me. Also I'm not running any particular scenario. I hold down Shift to run and the "Restricted Movement" blip pops up and i am unable to sprint. that's all that happens.

What do you mean by "Restricted movement blip"? Is that one of the moodles? (exhausted or overencumbered I'd guess?) What traits does your char have? What is char's weight and fitness level? Are they carrying too much stuff when you're trying to run / sprint? (sorry for all the questions but it's hard to diagnose anything without seeing it firsthand)

I apologize I should be more clear. Yes the moodle will say "Restricted Movement" when I Shift to run. All stats are base stats. Weight is 70, Fitness level is Half filled, I spawn in naked, I also check my capacity and I'm not over encumbered at all. I have a little over 400 hours in game and this has never happened before. Ill try to get a video as soon as possible. I don't have any negative traits that hinder movement normally.

20 hours ago, Ohziriz said:

I apologize I should be more clear. Yes the moodle will say "Restricted Movement" when I Shift to run. All stats are base stats. Weight is 70, Fitness level is Half filled, I spawn in naked, I also check my capacity and I'm not over encumbered at all. I have a little over 400 hours in game and this has never happened before. Ill try to get a video as soon as possible. I don't have any negative traits that hinder movement normally.

Works normally here. 

Try going to %UserProfile% and rename the Zomboid dir to Zomboid_old

Then go to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ and rename ProjectZomboid to ProjectZomboid_old

In Steam, right click PZ, go into Properties, then Local Files. Verify the game files to download a fresh copy.

This'll reset/backup everything.

2 hours ago, Manta said:

you said spawn naked , probably because you are barefoot?

I Don't think that would be it cause I do zero to hero challenges all the time where I spawn in naked and I've never had this issue until very recently.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Works normally here. 

Try going to %UserProfile% and rename the Zomboid dir to Zomboid_old

Then go to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ and rename ProjectZomboid to ProjectZomboid_old

In Steam, right click PZ, go into Properties, then Local Files. Verify the game files to download a fresh copy.

This'll reset/backup everything.

Thank you I will give it a try. Incase this doesn't work is their anything else I could try?

It is the CantSprint moodle, inflicted when your runspeed modifier is below 1.0 and you try to sprint.

The default runspeed modifier is 1.0. Having no shoes, or wearing broken shoes, means your runspeed modifier is multiplied by 0.85x, and that is the only thing that changes it.

This basically means you can never sprint while barefoot—in fact, since clothing runspeed modifier is never applied to the player (it's only used to calculate the player's fullSpeedMod), the description of the moodle is completely incorrect. The only thing that will ever slow you down (at least via a way that the moodle can detect) is being barefoot.

Edited by NoelleLavenza
mention broken shoes too

4 hours ago, NoelleLavenza said:

It is the CantSprint moodle, inflicted when your runspeed modifier is below 1.0 and you try to sprint.

The default runspeed modifier is 1.0. Having no shoes, or wearing broken shoes, means your runspeed modifier is multiplied by 0.85x, and that is the only thing that changes it.

This basically means you can never sprint while barefoot—in fact, since clothing runspeed modifier is never applied to the player (it's only used to calculate the player's fullSpeedMod), the description of the moodle is completely incorrect. The only thing that will ever slow you down (at least via a way that the moodle can detect) is being barefoot.

I can’t check the code right now, but that doesn’t sound right.

I was able to run and sprint with an entirely nude, barefoot character this morning, for example.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I can’t check the code right now, but that doesn’t sound right.

I was able to run and sprint with an entirely nude, barefoot character this morning, for example.

I tested it with no mods, 41.68, no traits, unemployed. Jogging is fine, but sprinting with alt results in the restricted movement moodle immediately. (The code confirms this.)

EDIT: Notably, with fitness 10 and sprinting 3, it doesn't happen.

if ((boolean4 || this.m_walkSpeed < 0.4F || this.m_walkInjury > 0.5F) && this.isSprinting() && !this.isGhostMode()) {

Since boolean4 is player.isInTrees(), it looks like m_walkSpeed is the determining factor; calculateBaseSpeed is probably the most important bit. Looks like it's just due to a lack of sprinting skill?

Edited by NoelleLavenza