Multiplayer - Tracking Mod

hardcoreymp

Hey Zomboiders,

Just a quick one.  Wanting to see if anyone wants a tracking mod.

Essentially I want to create a mod for the single player that can be ported over to MP for tracking people. Sort of how Daryl tracks ppl in the walking dead :)

Essentially it will work like this.

Wherever player "Steve" walks foot prints are placed every 10 steps.  The first marked step would be 100% marked, it would log the time in game and every X minutes / hours it fades by Y %.

If there is enough support I will have a crack at doing it :)

Peace out

Just as a general guideline for modding ... you shouldn't base your mods on "what people want" but instead of what would be fun for you.

If you want to make a tracking mod - do it.

Basically all of my mods are stuff that I wanted to have in the game and therefore made for myself.

that wouldnt really be fun i mean what if you want a safehouse in the woods? wouldnt be safe where every man and his dog can follow your footprints right to your door 

Presumably the intention would be it is either an acquired skill or a very expensive feat and wouldn't be every man and his dog.

This idea is very doable. The decay slightly harder due to the map streaming.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great idea for a mod, I wholeheartedly support it! (I would be glad to help you test it too, if you decide to make it)

It says in the PZ Wiki that "zombies have very quiet footsteps", which must be true since they can creep up on you from behind, and the next thing you know they're chewing on your neck! Because they're rotted somewhat, they're also lighter which means that they don't make deep impressions on the surface they walk on.

So I think that it should only be possible to track humans unless it is possible to make it a skill you can improve over time (how you would incorporate this aspect into the standard game I have no idea, but it might be possible), in which case have zombie tracking available only once you're at the highest level.

Sounds like a fantastic idea, how about it tracks running as oppose to walking (that way you can explain how people do it and not zeds) and perhaps if it's raining it will ruin dry tracks, and walking in mud during rain will create track marks.

Also have mud on your shoes from walking in wet soil, that way you can carry a spare set of clean shoes. Wet mud prints could remain until the next rainstorm and mud up homes so others can see if someone has already been there/looted the place