Variant Injuries

Typha

Because the Post-Apocalypse would inflict more then just scratches and bites to our terminal survivors.

Before I begin, I apologies if this is a re-posting, but I believe I need to suggest this in my own words

As a survivor scavenges through the city, not only are there hazards within the zombie population, but as a result of this apocalypse, these consequential hazards should play a huge role in the safety and gathering of the player. As a result of these hazards, bandages and other medical supplies become a vital asset to the survivors. I'll first begin with mentioning my desires for what should be changed and added within the PZ medical item list, then i will state the new hazards that would require these new item updates.

Bandages (http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Bandages) Because these items are quick to make and are very light, these items are not a permanent choice for closing up wounds. After a week from a scratch the bandage will have to be replaced and from a bite/open wound, the bandage will have to be replaced every day. In addition, Bandages will have only a 5% chance of resisting a " Common Infection"

Gauze (http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Bandage) These items are a bit more permanent option for dealing with injuries. These items would have to be replaced each week from a bite/open wound, but scratches would not have to be replaced. In addition, Gauze will have a 25% chance of resisting a " Common Infection"

Bandaid (http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Bandaid) Used only for scratches, these items will not have to be replaced, but they can not patch a bite/open wound. In addition, the bandaid will have a 50% chance of resisting a " Common Infection"

Antiseptics, Apply to a wound in order to increase the "Common Infection" resistance of that wound by 15%

Brace, This item is the only way to patch a "Sprain" and would only require a plank and 4 bandages to make

Antibiotics, Lowers the threshold of receiving a cold by 1

New Hazards

Climbing through broken windows, Because of the broken glass and shattered bars, going through a broken window would have a 75% chance of scratching the survivor, this would be lowered by 10% for each rank in Nimble

Over Exertion, running or attacking while over encumbered,exhausted, or while going down stairs, the survivor will have a 10% likelihood of taking a "sprain" injury, which would lower the survivors max carry capacity.  

Lumberjack, cutting down trees is dangerous work, especially when a survivor has probably never done it before. Each tree that is chopped down by the survivor has a 10% chance of inflicting a scratch.

Oops!, Sawing up logs comes with its own problems. For each log that the survivor wants to saw, they have a 15% chance of inflicting an open wound on themselves. This chance goes down by 2% for each point in Carpentry

Jumping out of windows, the survivor receives a sprain for each floor the survivor falls from

Breaking down doors and walls, the shattering of wood and metal can go everywhere, even knocking back and hitting the survivor. Breaking down a door or wall will have a 10% chance of inflicting a scratch onto the survivor

Barefooted, running with no shoes will incur a 5% chance of inflicting a scratch onto the survivor. (This would only be relative if clothing receives durability)

Scavenging into the unknown, a soft sound indicator of scuffling should be present when a rabid rat is within a container, opening a container with a rabid rat will kill it, but inflict a bite onto the survivor. The likelihood of a rabid rat within a container is 1/2 of the percentage of finding a dead rat

Please let me know what you think of these hazards within the game. I tried to stay away from radiation illnesses or things of that nature because it doesn't seem to fit the game. What I have gotten from playing hours and hours of this game is that the intention is to make an ultra realistic zombie simulator, but it severally misses the point of zombie survival (and what many other game fail to see as well) and that is the real world hazards will kill a smart survivor, zombies kill the less perceptive survivors.

It is worth noting that the devs are planning on updating the medical system at some point in all likelihood. Here's my own take on the medical overhaul, from my thread here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1144-the-future-of-pz/

A full overhaul of the medical and health system is probably a ways overdue, and I know they’ve mentioned wanting to do one before. The first part of this is from my thread on the damage system overhaul I think the player needs:

Basically, my recommendation is that each body part that is damaged has a specific effect on how your character behaves, just like it would in real life:

Head: Possible reduction in vision, hearing, increase in nausea, greater chance for mental trauma (which will hopefully be added soon, too)

Upper Arms: Decreased carrying capacity and strength

Hands/Lower Arms: Slower weapon swing speed, possibly making it so you can't carry a two handed weapon as well

Chest: Faster damage taken than other areas, increased exhaustion

Legs: Decreased carrying capacity and run speed

Feet: Decreased run speed and increased noise caused by walking/running

Groin: Greatly increased pain.

In addition, adds new status effects that can appear on each limb. Scratched, Bitten, Bruised, Broken, Cut, Scar. Each of these represent different things and give more information to the player- a scratch, bite, or cut needs a bandage or stitches. A break needs a splint. Bruised can usually just be left to heal. Scars show places where you've had serious injury before, and possibly make you more intimidating. When a wound is healed or if it is healthy it will not say anything. NEW!

Wounds would heal over time, getting better with rest, eating, and proper medical care and either not getting better or getting worse if you used the affected body part too much or if it goes untreated.

Next we’d need sprites for bandaged body parts, and hopefully a limping animation.

I’d also like to see a big overhaul of medical items in the game, along with a few added:

Splints: These would be made from a board and several sheets. They would be used for broken limbs 

to help them heal faster and keep them from getting worse. Would somewhat limit the use of the limb they are on, and would need to be removed after the limb heals. NEW!

Rudimentary bandages: These would be made from ripping up sheets or clothing like is currently in the game. It greatly slows but does not stop bleeding. Bandages must be changed when dirtied or they can cause a (non-zombie) infection. Time between bandage changes depends on if the wound is bleeding and how much.

Bandages: These can only be found pre-made in the world. Found in doctor’s offices, first aid kits, etc. Fully stops bleeding.

Painkillers: This would now come in two varieties, shots (which are very strong) and pills (which are much less strong). Shots kill the pain quicker and better, but are much easier to overdose on and much harder to find. Pills take much more time to act but are safer. They’re also addictive if used for too long, causing the player to have a new moodle “withdrawal” that negatively impacts several parts of the gameplay.

Antibiotics: Antibiotics can be used to fight all matter of disease within the game, from a common cold to zombie infection. Usually cures simple diseases within a day. These can never cure the zombie infection, but with enough antibiotics you could delay turning forever. Of course, this would be impossible without hacking since the amount of antibiotics in the world would be limited. 

Alcohol: This is already in the game, but rubbing alcohol could be added as well. Pouring it on a wound sanitizing and sterilizing it. This helps reduce the chance of a normal infection from wounds. It can also be used to clean used bandages. When poured on a scratch from a zombie within the first couple of minutes, it greatly reduces the chance of being infected. When poured on a bite, it gives a slight (~2%) chance of not being infected.

Stitches: Finding a kit with stitches allows a one-time use of stitching a wound. This helps keeps wounds from getting infected, instantly stops bleeding, and helps them heal faster.

Antidepressants: Helps increase sanity and decrease depression. Can also make sanity worse if you become addicted. See mental health suggestion for more.

Finally, to specify a few diseases that should be added and/or clarified in the game:

Common Cold: Causes sneezing and runny nose. Makes the character more tired and more hungry. Carrying a tissue negates the sniffling/sneezing so that your character does not make extra noise. Tissues are used up over time. Lasts 2-3 days. Staying well rested and fed as well as taking antibiotics will make it go away faster.

Flu: The stomach flu. This could last up to 6 days if left untreated. It makes the character run a fever, causes thirst and hunger. Unfortunately it can also make you vomit, which can slow what you’re doing and cause the player to lose the food in them (bringing you to the first level of hunger below peckish and causing significant noise). Can be cleared up with antibiotics or rest and hydration.

Infected Wound: An infected wound happens when you don’t change the bandages on a wound, it goes unbandaged, or it doesn’t get cleaned before bandaging. Basic cleaning can be done with water, with alcohol being a foolproof way of cleaning. This causes pain and fever. Does not go away until the wound is properly cared for and causes a lack of function in the area of the wound.

Zombification: While zombification can be fought nearly indefinitely with enough food and antibiotics, it’s a circumstance that’s unlikely to happen and will be very painful. Can cause any number of bad moodles completely at random, from mental to physical. The effects of zombification are randomly generated at character generation and effects each individual character differently. One may be very thirsty, fevered, and having visions, while your next character could have nausea, hunger, and depression. This makes it that much less certain when you’re infected which is an important part of maintaining reasonable suspension of disbelief when playing a character that might be infected.

NEW!

Also, along with the medical overhaul, a new skill First Aid! This idea comes thanks to community member Banjo! Increase First Aid by using medical items on yourself or others. Gaining more skill causes medical items you use to be more effective and to be applied/take effect faster. The doctor profession would start out with a point or two in this skill.

ah ok, my mistake for posting this then. But i would like to know why you would split Bandages into two types, rather then name them differently, also much of what I want to see and what I haven't seen from other suggestions is that crafting should be much more hazardous. If I can make a wall around my base within a day of over exerting myself without any harm to me, that is what takes me away from the experience, it becomes more minecraft then simulation. 

Antibiotics, Lowers a cold's rank by 1

You do know that the only thing using antibiotics does to a cold is produce "super" germs?

It is worth noting that the devs are planning on updating the medical system at some point in all likelihood. Here's my own take on the medical overhaul, from my thread here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1144-the-future-of-pz/

A full overhaul of the medical and health system is probably a ways overdue, and I know they’ve mentioned wanting to do one before. The first part of this is from my thread on the damage system overhaul I think the player needs:

Basically, my recommendation is that each body part that is damaged has a specific effect on how your character behaves, just like it would in real life:

Head: Possible reduction in vision, hearing, increase in nausea, greater chance for mental trauma (which will hopefully be added soon, too)

Upper Arms: Decreased carrying capacity and strength

Hands/Lower Arms: Slower weapon swing speed, possibly making it so you can't carry a two handed weapon as well

Chest: Faster damage taken than other areas, increased exhaustion

Legs: Decreased carrying capacity and run speed

Feet: Decreased run speed and increased noise caused by walking/running

Groin: Greatly increased pain.

In addition, adds new status effects that can appear on each limb. Scratched, Bitten, Bruised, Broken, Cut, Scar. Each of these represent different things and give more information to the player- a scratch, bite, or cut needs a bandage or stitches. A break needs a splint. Bruised can usually just be left to heal. Scars show places where you've had serious injury before, and possibly make you more intimidating. When a wound is healed or if it is healthy it will not say anything. NEW!

Wounds would heal over time, getting better with rest, eating, and proper medical care and either not getting better or getting worse if you used the affected body part too much or if it goes untreated.

Next we’d need sprites for bandaged body parts, and hopefully a limping animation.

I’d also like to see a big overhaul of medical items in the game, along with a few added:

Splints: These would be made from a board and several sheets. They would be used for broken limbs 

to help them heal faster and keep them from getting worse. Would somewhat limit the use of the limb they are on, and would need to be removed after the limb heals. NEW!

Rudimentary bandages: These would be made from ripping up sheets or clothing like is currently in the game. It greatly slows but does not stop bleeding. Bandages must be changed when dirtied or they can cause a (non-zombie) infection. Time between bandage changes depends on if the wound is bleeding and how much.

Bandages: These can only be found pre-made in the world. Found in doctor’s offices, first aid kits, etc. Fully stops bleeding.

Painkillers: This would now come in two varieties, shots (which are very strong) and pills (which are much less strong). Shots kill the pain quicker and better, but are much easier to overdose on and much harder to find. Pills take much more time to act but are safer. They’re also addictive if used for too long, causing the player to have a new moodle “withdrawal” that negatively impacts several parts of the gameplay.

Antibiotics: Antibiotics can be used to fight all matter of disease within the game, from a common cold to zombie infection. Usually cures simple diseases within a day. These can never cure the zombie infection, but with enough antibiotics you could delay turning forever. Of course, this would be impossible without hacking since the amount of antibiotics in the world would be limited. 

Alcohol: This is already in the game, but rubbing alcohol could be added as well. Pouring it on a wound sanitizing and sterilizing it. This helps reduce the chance of a normal infection from wounds. It can also be used to clean used bandages. When poured on a scratch from a zombie within the first couple of minutes, it greatly reduces the chance of being infected. When poured on a bite, it gives a slight (~2%) chance of not being infected.

Stitches: Finding a kit with stitches allows a one-time use of stitching a wound. This helps keeps wounds from getting infected, instantly stops bleeding, and helps them heal faster.

Antidepressants: Helps increase sanity and decrease depression. Can also make sanity worse if you become addicted. See mental health suggestion for more.

Finally, to specify a few diseases that should be added and/or clarified in the game:

Common Cold: Causes sneezing and runny nose. Makes the character more tired and more hungry. Carrying a tissue negates the sniffling/sneezing so that your character does not make extra noise. Tissues are used up over time. Lasts 2-3 days. Staying well rested and fed as well as taking antibiotics will make it go away faster.

Flu: The stomach flu. This could last up to 6 days if left untreated. It makes the character run a fever, causes thirst and hunger. Unfortunately it can also make you vomit, which can slow what you’re doing and cause the player to lose the food in them (bringing you to the first level of hunger below peckish and causing significant noise). Can be cleared up with antibiotics or rest and hydration.

Infected Wound: An infected wound happens when you don’t change the bandages on a wound, it goes unbandaged, or it doesn’t get cleaned before bandaging. Basic cleaning can be done with water, with alcohol being a foolproof way of cleaning. This causes pain and fever. Does not go away until the wound is properly cared for and causes a lack of function in the area of the wound.

Zombification: While zombification can be fought nearly indefinitely with enough food and antibiotics, it’s a circumstance that’s unlikely to happen and will be very painful. Can cause any number of bad moodles completely at random, from mental to physical. The effects of zombification are randomly generated at character generation and effects each individual character differently. One may be very thirsty, fevered, and having visions, while your next character could have nausea, hunger, and depression. This makes it that much less certain when you’re infected which is an important part of maintaining reasonable suspension of disbelief when playing a character that might be infected.

NEW!

Also, along with the medical overhaul, a new skill First Aid! This idea comes thanks to community member Banjo! Increase First Aid by using medical items on yourself or others. Gaining more skill causes medical items you use to be more effective and to be applied/take effect faster. The doctor profession would start out with a point or two in this skill.

Damn it, beat me to the punch.

Antibiotics, Lowers a cold's rank by 1

You do know that the only thing using antibiotics does to a cold is produce "super" germs?

I should have rephrased that, the survivors cold's threshold is lowered by 1 rank

Don't really get what you mean by.

He means the threshold for the cold remaining in place is lowered by one 'rank'.

So sure, as you mentioned, antibiotics is a factor in the likelihood mutating super germs (but by no means produces them, and is most certainly not the only thing they do), antibiotics also increases your resistance to common colds.

I think the OP's terminology of the "cold's threshold is lowered by 1 rank", suggests that taking antibiotics when you already have a cold makes that cold one step closer to being fought off.

If that makes sense...