Questions regarding Forts in Muldraugh

In the woods towards the north, but close enough to the city for looting.

It matters where you are. In the city, it needs to be, pretty much, a bunker. In the woods, I'd say more of a protected house.

Yes, but also, canned goods and water are essential, for they do not rot while closed.

I'd say a bit in-between. You do not want to be IN the city permanently, due to migrating hordes.

from my experience id say make ur fort rigth in the middle of a city (wp or muld)  because you will be safe eventually, and when you are, you are gonna be glad to be in the center of everything.Way easier to loot

Remember, horde migrations ARE being worked on. One extended loot run later, and your safehouse is crawling with zombies :P

At the moment as there is no real zombie movement yet, I have made the experience that all you have to do is to clear out the immediate area around a house and you can use that as safe house without getting troubled by any zombies. No need to build any fortifications as of yet. The occasional single walker you can just bash his head in. But still, it's fun to fortify a house and build a base, so I still do that eventually :)

I guess any house in a central location close to neighbourhoods and shops/warehouses is nice.

I think you need to look at the map and take into consideration what makes you feel safe.  A place you secure in the first few days of the game may not be the location you want to use later.  In so far as being in the center, what does that really matter?  When you loot the surrounding area, you are going to be in the center of nothing.  Now if that is going to be your final base, the center of nothing is a good thing.

1. Build multiple bolt holes.  Preferably on 2nd stories with rope access.  If a Zed has to run up a floor and then to a particular location, to catch you sleeping behind a barricaded door.... that is a persistant joker.  I recommend one bolt hole every block or two.  Put in a few days worth of non-persible food, some water, an extra ranged weapon, ammo, a few extra melee weapons, something to read and some medicine.  It could be it is just unsafe to venture outside for a day or two.  Lay low.
  2. Build secure bolt holes every three to four blocks.  I usually recon an area for looting by looking for a place to call my own.  I then run in with a few days worth of supplies.  Clear out the near by Zed and bunker up.  You now foray from this point to get your goodies, insteading of footing it all the way back "home".  When you have drained the area of resources, make runs back to you main base but leave enough here just in case.  I leave 50 units of water, 50 units of food and a full fridge in each one of these.
  3. Fortify your farm.  Maybe you want to have a roof top garden, inside a gated community or out in the boonies.
  4. Keep your eyes open for cherry spots.  You may not need a bolt hole here, but this one is better than your last one.  Who says you cant have another.

If you get to the point where you have cleared out the map AND you are not going back, maybe you could return to prior bolt holes and loot them.  However, if some Zed Herd comes in and blows through your fort... it is nice to have some place safe to run too.  If you dont need the supplies, leave them be.  That is the benefit of a cache.